first time buyer vw eos

gb110430

Hi

Iv been searching or been deliberating to buy a new car for a while, my first choice is a convertible , ideally it would have been a 320d convertible but its going to be released mid next year at around 35k which is out of my price range at moment, which is out of my price range so I hope you guys can help me confirm my final choice, a vw eos 2.0tdi sport dsg, for 24k.

What are your opinions on this car,there arent that many on the roads and to me they look nice.......

is black the best choice ......

anyone who has an Eos????there anre nt much discounts on an Eos around either even from brokers??

cheers

Andy

Have a quick look in the VW Chat area, there are pictures of a lovely black EOS in there. 2.0TDI wouldn't be my choice I just don't rate it as a quite and smooth engine myself. I'd go for a 2.0T unless you are doing stupid amounts of miles. Do the calcs and the diesel is not always cheaper and it often doesn't give you the smiles per mile either. grin.gif169144-ok.gif

I can help on this one. We bought one this summer for one of our senior engineers, just about the spec you are looking at - its a 2L DSG Sport, in black, with I think the Winter pack and some other pack ... anyway it ended up with Xenons, Auto lights / wipers etc etc. I had a fairly long drive in it a few weeks back - and it really is very very nice. Quite fast, DSG is superb, and whole thing really drives quite well. Black is def a good choice as it hides all the breaks in the roof. Overall ... V nice car 169144-ok.gif

I simply don't like Coupe/Cabrios (metal folding roof to you squire), for the simple reason that the A pillar and windscreen top rail are so thick and obstrusive, and the windscreens overhang the cabin too much, oh, and the folding tops are heavier than a traditional soft top. Get a soft top and a hard top for the winter I say. Mind you, the Eeore (sorry, Eos) is CC only isn't it. Great engine though fomr what I hear, just not for me.

The auto wipers on the Bora are awful. Slight drizzle and the things go on max. So I end up using either manual intermittent or one speed mode.

Auto lights? I have seen these things come on under every bridge and over hanging tree. Very slow to turn off. I just don't like that stuff. Taking auto this and auto that a bit too far.

Auto wipers have been the single best extra to both my current and previous cars by far. Great for safety and are very little hassle compared to using them manually. Both have adjustment for sensitivity so if they are coming on to quickly or not enough I could change it.

My other half even has them on her Astra along with the auto lights and she loves them as well though they aren't quite as intelligent as the BMW or Audi versions. 169144-ok.gif

The one thing I miss on the S4 is the auto-wipers, which I had on the R32. On the Golf, you could adjust the sensitivity of the auto-wiping, by moving the adjuster that would normally be used to adjust the intermittent speed.

I've got auto-lights on the S4 and love them. But I can turn them off if I don't need them.

Not sure if the EOS has the same feature as the S4 for the dash lights, in that, if you don't have any lights on and it gets darker, the dash lights (which are on all the time) dim, except the needles, to let you know you might want to turn on your lights.

At first I thought there was a problem with the dash lighting. Until I, erm, oh sh*t, yes I have to admit it, read the manual...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm failing to see the safety aspect of auto windscreen wipers tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, you go past a truck when there is lots of spray at the same time your glance in your mirrors, when you look back all you see is a wall of water and no view. With Auto wipers they would be going crazy without you doing a thing, with manual they might have been off at that point or on a 20 second interval, either way you still can't see anything when you look back.

It also makes a journey far less tiring sometimes, turning them on full, then off again when you get past something then on again, or straining your eyes because any second they will wipe again so you can see but you can't be arsed to click them to a higher speed blah blah.

As I've already mentioned they are a great addition to the car IMO from many points of view, being lazy is only a minor point. 169144-ok.gif

Whilst I can see the safety aspects for a dopey driver, most of us plan ahead when driving into a tunnel by putting the headlights on, just as we flick the wipers up a notch when overtaking a truck on a wet Motorway. They just add weight, are another thing to go wrong and take the 'control' out of driving. Manual wipers everytime for me please!

The lack of a 'nudge' function on the stalk - ie gives you one sweep - in my classic Peugeot is a bit annoying though!

Ian

On my Polo, I've always missed the "nudge" function I used to have. I'm also a fan of manual wipers as I'm pretty picky about the speed I like to have them on. Wouldn't mind trying them though hearing all the praise.

On topic though, I like the Eos. Probably one of the best looking Coupe/ Cabrios out at the moment.