Coughing up blood

Sparky

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to docs, but he admitted that he wasn't sure what it could be. Annoyingly, it had stopped that day.

He said that he thought it could be bronchitis (sp?), but that because it hadn't done it that day (despite me coughing) that he wasn't going to go down that route, so as soon as it happens again (which it did but some time later), I've to go back.

He did stress he was clutching at straws though - got the impression he wasn't that fussed and that I was wasting his time. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Been to docs, but he admitted that he wasn't sure what it could be. Annoyingly, it had stopped that day.

He said that he thought it could be bronchitis (sp?), but that because it hadn't done it that day (despite me coughing) that he wasn't going to go down that route, so as soon as it happens again (which it did but some time later), I've to go back.

He did stress he was clutching at straws though - got the impression he wasn't that fussed and that I was wasting his time. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bronchiectesis perhaps?

Do you habitually couhgh up mucky stuff? If not it is unlikely.

I would suggest if it is still hapenning you get your ass to A&E; they can do a Chest xray and a quick blood test which between them will address many causes and hopefully your blood test will be negative and that will knock the clot idea firmly on its head .

Your GP shouldn't have had to think about it as he should have a "haemoptysis pathway" already in place so all he had to do was sling you on that conveyor belt.

No not really coughing up mucky stuff before - I am at the moment, but not had it before now.

Only thing that's been a little unusual over last 6 months if when I feel I've got a cold, or something like that, and I blow my nose, a fair amount of blood was coming out then - but I put that down to I was blowing my nose too hard - even when I didn't think I was.

Like I said, I don't my GP was fussed. I'm going to see how I am today/tomorrow and if there's no change, or it comes back I will go to A&E.

Thanks for your advice so far. You seem much more clued up than my GP 169144-ok.gif

No problem.

To be fair it is alot easier just throwing up the worst case scenarios and saying "pick one and eliminate the rest" than actually trouble-shooting a single problem [ie a patient] in front of you.

Perhaps the amount of bleed IS trivial and/or he has access to info which would all but make the other "bad" things very unlikely but still having been down this road it is something I am a little sensitive about [being a Chest Radiologist doesn't help grin.gif]

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chest xray and D-Dimer if it doesn't stop mister 169144-ok.gif

D-Dimer is a test done to detect the break down of blood clots if you had a clot in your lungs (Pulmonary embolism). A positive test is not diagnostic but rather supportive to other test to aid diagnosis. But a negative test excludes clots in your lungs. A spiral CT scan is one of the diagnostic test for clots in the lungs. I would definitely seek the advice of another doctor if you are still having symptoms. If you have one or some of the following symptoms apart from coughing up of blood, you should seek medical attention asap:

chest pain (esp. on breathing in)

breathlessness

fever together with malaise and perhaps muscle aches

significant weight loss over a period of time(even when your appetite is normal and you haven't increased exercising)

ankle swelling or recent swelling of your leg

bronchiectasis is unlikely unless you have had a long history of lung disease.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sparky

As an A&E Consultant I think you need looking at by a proper Doctor rather than the usual half trained 9-5 clockwatching chimps that work in GP land. Waylander is right about the PE (slightly wrong on a negative D-dimer excluding embolic disease, but let's not get into sensitivity specificity and pre-test probabilities here!), but the temperature thing is worrying - you could have pneumonia or anything from a long list of conditions varying from trivial to unpleasant.

If you are around the Manchester area you are welcome to come to my department and we'll sort you out. If not, go to a proper A&E - not a minor injuries or urgent care centre - tell the triage nurse you have had haemoptysis for 6 weeks, fever, and general malaise. You need a chest X-ray and bloods. Depending what shows up you may need to be admitted to hospital.

In order to avoid waiting too long, get yourself down to A&E first thing tomorrow - if you get there about 0830 you should beat the rush.

Do not put it off, do it tomorrow. I command you.

Jim

PS have you lost any weight?

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't give that little synopsis on D-Dimer Jim wink.gif

I reckon he has bronchiectesis myself....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're quite right it wasn't you - not sure how I managed to get that wrong. Must pay attention in future!

Not 100% keen on the bronchiectasis idea, I'm wondering about a good old fashioned untreated lobar pneumonia.