News - The new Impreza WRX STI arrives

News_Stig

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I couldnt care less about how it looks. Its so small, chuckable and tunable. No real petrolhead would not show any intrest in this little beast!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't believe that. Some degree of ordinary looks can be tolerated but there are limits.

Are you seriously saying you would still want one if it went & handled the same but looked like this:

1058994.w600.jpg

The STI isn't quite that extreme, but it's getting there slowly but surely.

I still think compared to the RB320 it's an absolute Joe Cocker, even if the oily bits might be better.

I guess it's subjective, but I think this is alot less ugly than the horrible bug-eyed thing they replaced the original with in 2001.

And even if you don't like this one, look at what happened to the previous model over time... The 2001 car was hideous, the 2003 much better (with little more than a nose job), and the 2006 model the best looking yet. The same will happen with this hatch. There's rumoured to be a minor facelift already on the cards for 2009 model year - by the time it's tweaked again it could be a real looker!!! (OK, maybe a 3 pinter instead of a ten pinter... grin.gif )

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I couldnt care less about how it looks. Its so small, chuckable and tunable. No real petrolhead would not show any intrest in this little beast!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't believe that. Some degree of ordinary looks can be tolerated but there are limits.

Are you seriously saying you would still want one if it went & handled the same but looked like this:

1058994.w600.jpg

The STI isn't quite that extreme, but it's getting there slowly but surely.

I still think compared to the RB320 it's an absolute Joe Cocker, even if the oily bits might be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what im saying at all. I wouldnt personally want one as id still feel a bit of a plonker arriving to work in that (I work in fashion! grin.gif). However im a petrolhead and id love a go in one, and will still give a driver of one a nod of approval - certainly not disgust!

[ QUOTE ]

I guess it's subjective, but I think this is alot less ugly than the horrible bug-eyed thing they replaced the original with in 2001.

And even if you don't like this one, look at what happened to the previous model over time... The 2001 car was hideous, the 2003 much better (with little more than a nose job), and the 2006 model the best looking yet. The same will happen with this hatch. There's rumoured to be a minor facelift already on the cards for 2009 model year - by the time it's tweaked again it could be a real looker!!! (OK, maybe a 3 pinter instead of a ten pinter... grin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

You reckon it will be a minor facelift - I bet Subaru are paging Joan Rivers' plastic surgeon as we speak grin.gif

FWIW I think they are changing generally the right things but in the wrong way (and there's only so much you can do with a slightly 'wrong' basic shape anyway). The slap they've added on looks heavy handed and a bit chavvy.

To me it's a bit like tuning in to Pimp My Ride expecting Xibit but getting Westwood & the Essex boys/girl.