Foglamps

GCab

See the link Foggy posted, that "How Stuff Works" site is great.

A quote from elsewhere: "Xenon light is based on the gas discharge principle , where an arc of light is created between two electrodes in a glass tube filled with metal salts and inert gases.(This is not to be confused with many manufacturers who call their halogen lamps Xenon)."

It's indeed misleading. I think this could be challenged by a consumer organisation or TV program.

And I'm not surprised people think they're buying Xenons, as a lot are not familiar with the technology behind it.

I mean if they even manage to sell "penile enlargement pills" and whatnot, well... they can sell almost anything... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Likewise how often do you see people in thick fog who do the opposite and don't switch them on!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! Unbelievable!!! What's with that? And that's so dangerous... They don't seem to realise someone could overlook them and run into them... (whereas I'm more cautious of others anyway, so I make very sure I'm visible in fog)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been noticing quite a few cars (OK, a LOT) with foglights/driving lights on, after reading all this. Interestingly, I hardly noticed them before. I gotta be honest with you: they don't bother me at all, and I wonder if some of this is that people find them bothersome mainly because they're looking to be annoyed, just because they don't like the idea of the sort of people who might be doing it. Certain amount of 4-wheeled snobbery going on, perhaps ? (I don't use them, btw).

I can understand that in a country lane they might be blinding, but in the big city they are (a) unnecessary, I agree, but also (b) harmless. I don't find them dazzling at all, on a busy London road when there's so much else going on. So you could argue that rather than get annoyed about them being used inappropriately in the city, you could just shrug and say "they also make little or no difference, so why get het up about it". SUVs are equally pointless in town, are also used for nothing but image, and take up a lot more room.

Rear fog lamps are a different matter entirely, I agree: they're even worse in a nose-to-tail queue.

Anyway, re. the quote above: what I *really* hate is the mean-minded, unimaginative, unselfconscious middle-aged gits who think they are never allowed to put their normal lights on above half-beam/"sidelights" if it's daytime because their grandmother (or someone) taught them not to "waste electricity", regardless of how appalling the visibility is. You see them on the M25 in the middle of a raging storm, or appearing out of the evening gloom in London, with these pathetic, low-contrast, dim pathetic bulbs glowing feebly like candles. All around them everyone is on full headlights but do they notice this and think "OK, time to push the lever all the way up"? Oh no. Someone somewhere in 1975 has taught them that "daytime means sidelights", so even at 4 pm on a winter evening in driving rain, sidelights is all that they will ever use. I've nearly hit idiots like this while pulling out, because their other characteristic is that they drive at EXACTLY the same speed come rain or shine - 2 mph below the speed limit in bright clear sunshine on a dry road, and 2 mph below the speed limit when everyone else is 15 mph under it due to adverse weather. So you pull out from a line of well-driven Porsches, Audis, Mercs, or whatnot, all slowing down with lights on full due to the Atlantic gale hitting the windscreen, and get rear-ended by some geezer in a Vauzhall, totally invisible with lights half-on, doing exactly 2 mph under the limit, because that's what he always does.

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggh

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Likewise how often do you see people in thick fog who do the opposite and don't switch them on!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! Unbelievable!!! What's with that? And that's so dangerous... They don't seem to realise someone could overlook them and run into them... (whereas I'm more cautious of others anyway, so I make very sure I'm visible in fog)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been noticing quite a few cars (OK, a LOT) with foglights/driving lights on, after reading all this. Interestingly, I hardly noticed them before. I gotta be honest with you: they don't bother me at all, and I wonder if some of this is that people find them bothersome mainly because they're looking to be annoyed, just because they don't like the idea of the sort of people who might be doing it. Certain amount of 4-wheeled snobbery going on, perhaps ? (I don't use them, btw).

I can understand that in a country lane they might be blinding, but in the big city they are (a) unnecessary, I agree, but also (b) harmless. I don't find them dazzling at all, on a busy London road when there's so much else going on. So you could argue that rather than get annoyed about them being used inappropriately in the city, you could just shrug and say "they also make little or no difference, so why get het up about it". SUVs are equally pointless in town, are also used for nothing but image, and take up a lot more room.

Rear fog lamps are a different matter entirely, I agree: they're even worse in a nose-to-tail queue.

Anyway, re. the quote above: what I *really* hate is the mean-minded, unimaginative, unselfconscious middle-aged gits who think they are never allowed to put their normal lights on above half-beam/"sidelights" if it's daytime because their grandmother (or someone) taught them not to "waste electricity", regardless of how appalling the visibility is. You see them on the M25 in the middle of a raging storm, or appearing out of the evening gloom in London, with these pathetic, low-contrast, dim pathetic bulbs glowing feebly like candles. All around them everyone is on full headlights but do they notice this and think "OK, time to push the lever all the way up"? Oh no. Someone somewhere in 1975 has taught them that "daytime means sidelights", so even at 4 pm on a winter evening in driving rain, sidelights is all that they will ever use. I've nearly hit idiots like this while pulling out, because their other characteristic is that they drive at EXACTLY the same speed come rain or shine - 2 mph below the speed limit in bright clear sunshine on a dry road, and 2 mph below the speed limit when everyone else is 15 mph under it due to adverse weather. So you pull out from a line of well-driven Porsches, Audis, Mercs, or whatnot, all slowing down with lights on full due to the Atlantic gale hitting the windscreen, and get rear-ended by some geezer in a Vauzhall, totally invisible with lights half-on, doing exactly 2 mph under the limit, because that's what he always does.

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggh

[/ QUOTE ]

Must say I totally agree with you about the stupid half beam lights. Why are they on cars anyway?

I mean it makes such a big difference in visibilty when everybody just always would use the normal beams on the car. I always have them on, day or night, summer or winter. I just think that its also for my safety when people see me and dont bump against me.

High beams is a totally different matter. Only use them when there is nobody in front of me (direct or opposite direction) and when its dark.

beerchug.gif