Chipping A4 2.5 quattro sport 180

Bendz

Hi,

My dad has just taken delivery of his new A4 avant, he is extremley pleased with the car but has found that when in low gears at low speeds you have to really give it some to pull out of junctions etc at a reasonable pace. Will installing an ABT chip improve response in the lower gears?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

I have the same car, with the same problem, and that's pretty much the only thing (apart from clutch pedal travel) that is wrong with this car.

It seems to a problem with a complete lack of power below around 1500rpm, despite there being huge amounts of torque available over 1200rpm.

I haven't driven a chipped 180, although a couple of people on here have had the modification done. My impression from talking to them was that there was improved power delivery in the mid to high rev band, but very little change low down (which is where I feel it is desperately needed).

"badbaz" was one of the guys with the chipped car - you might want to send him a PM as he isn't around here that often.

I don't find this too irritating, once you get used to it: you can build up the revs before releasing the clutch, and since you're only winding up to 1500 it's still a gentle low-rev high-torque turbodiesel pull, rather than the revved-up boy-racer start than you get by pushing the accelerator pedal early in a petrol car. In fact the engine gets quieter as it spools up and holds at 1500, so it's not as if you feel an idiot revving up at the traffic lights.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't find this too irritating, once you get used to it: you can build up the revs before releasing the clutch, and since you're only winding up to 1500 it's still a gentle low-rev high-torque turbodiesel pull, rather than the revved-up boy-racer start than you get by pushing the accelerator pedal early in a petrol car. In fact the engine gets quieter as it spools up and holds at 1500, so it's not as if you feel an idiot revving up at the traffic lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst pulling away at the lights is only marginally irritating because of this problem, running along in high gear at low revs when you come to a hill is.

Whilst my wife's old Golf and the new R32 will happily cruise up slight slopes at 1000rpm in 6th, you have to work the 2.5TDi gears to get above 1500rpm to stop it chugging (or even stalling). That's the benefit of the high bhp of the petrol cars even though they don't have the grunt for overtaking like the TDi does. I guess that what I object to is having to change down just to go up a gentle slope in 5th or 6th @ 30mph. With the size of the engine and pure grunt, it should be able to easily potter up such hills without me having to stir the gearbox.

I've heard very good things about the auto box on the 2.5TDi cab, which obviously gets rid of the problem 'cos it changes down for you. I'd be seriously tempted to have a new one if the Multitronic box were available on the 2.5TDi Quattro, but as only the Tiptronic box is available (which is [email protected]), I'm gonna stick with the R32 for a while.

As S4 says - the low end is not really improved - torque doesnt come in any earlier - just when it does, its with more vigour and the engine holds onto it for longer.

As a guess it would probably knock .2 off 0-62 but more like .5-.8 secs off 30-70.

After chipping engine certainly is more 'responsive' and 'lively'