DVD rewriter for PC's not standard format?

Ari

Toying with the idea of getting a DVD rewriter for the PC so in the future if I get a digital camcorder I can download a recording onto the PC, edit it and save it to DVD. Then if I want to send it to someone I can just burn them a DVD and post it.

However apparently there are different formats of rewrite, and they are not always compatable with DVD players, its a sort of VHS/Beta type thing.

Any thoughts on this? Not much point in being able to burn discs of home movies (steady! wink.gif) if they won't work on a normal DVD player. confused.gif

Ari, firstly DVD-RAM is supported by v few dvd players, so forget that.

As for +/- As long as you buy decent branded media, and the dvd player isn't one of the very first ones put on the market, you will have no problems.

I have put + and - Disks around friends, and the only problems i've ever had is with budget - media.

The re-writable versions of both formats are slightly different. +RW should be compatible with DVD Players, whereas -RW can have issues.

You'll be very lucky to find a PC DVD Writer that isn't dual standard these days, so just buy a dual standard writer, get decent media from a big brand name, use +RW if you need to use re-writable, and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Your best best is to get a "dual Format" burner like this one Pioneer 106 .

I have the above burner and I use DVD-R discs and everyone I create has worked in every standalone DVD Player I have tried. smile.gif

The main formats are DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RAM

For PC's the main choices are DVD-R/DVD+R, with DVD-RAM not that widely used.

However in the standalone DVD-Recorder market DVD-RAM makes an excellent choice, due to its "random access" I have this on my Panasonic E50 and its fuinctions are amazing. smile.gif

Hope this helps beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers guys! beerchug.gif

So basically as long as I get one that records in +RW the recorded DVD's I've made should play in a standard DVD player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't really comment on RW media, because the discs that I tried didn't work in either of my players. But now I have my new E50 and the Home Cinema SCHT900 they may work - something I will have to try.

As DVD-R media is so cheap I haven't really found the need to uses rewrittable media at all smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers guys! beerchug.gif

So basically as long as I get one that records in +RW the recorded DVD's I've made should play in a standard DVD player?

[/ QUOTE ]

+RW has some technical merits over -RW, mostly designed to make standalone recorders work better when overwriting existing content and editing (lossless linking for the techies out there).

As write-once formats go, they're both pretty compatible, the important thing is to get some good editing, transcoding and mastering software - a dig around the tool section of vcdhelp.com should turn up lots of freeware goodies.

FWIW, if you also want to use a DVD writer for PC data backup, +RW is better at data storage due to it's better capabilities with single packet writes etc.

I have an external Sony dual-format burner (DRX-510UL I think), it was quite expensive, but it supports both Firewire and USB 2 and I think it's got an 8Mb buffer (a lot of drives have 2Mb) and I've had no problems with it yet.

I'm in the throes of the same dilemma - to find a dvd burner to record home movies from my digital camcorder...

I've been leaning towards a standalone recorder like the panasonic. The reason is that I've tried editing and then converting a digital home movie to dvd format, and it was taking forever! I left it going for 36 hours (3GHz machine) and it still had not finished converting a 20 minute film to dvd format EEK2.GIF

I figure it's better to edit movies digitally on the computer, then record them back to tape in the camera (via firewire link), then use the DV link on the standalone DVD player to record the film to DVD. Seems a long way around - am I being dumb and missing an easier way? confused.gif

Jape that is some serious time encoding with a 3GHZ machine a 20 min clip should take about about an hour maybe even less....tells us what you were using/doing and i'm sure we'll sort you out...i mean help you out grin.gif

As to DVD Burners wouldn't worry too much about formats especially when you can pick up a multi format drive (pioneer) for 80-90 quid! use a proggie like pinnacles studio and bob's yer uncle fanny's your aunt you'll have a dvd ready to play in no time!