Fifth Gear last night???

Snail

Anyone see it?

I reckon she wasn't driving that TT DSG correctly, and that how it got beaten by that new nissan 350z

Was supprised how close the BMW Z4 and boxster were around the track, especially supprised when Tiff seemed to prefer the handling of the BMW.

Id also be interested to see that car stunt show thing they were talking about, where was it???

I only saw the bloody bit about the TT DSG v 350Z, missed the rest.

Putting the old mans head again, is'nt timing runs around a race track a bit pointless !

This information can't be translated into everyday road use confused.gif

Surely better to do timed acceleration from say 40 to 80mph

50 to 90mph and so on - y'know, like everyday use !

You never know, it might be a much different story

I feel a quick note to sticky Vicky coming on notworthy.gif

I reckon the Nissan may have been faster in the hands of a racing driver, but watching it there was no doubt the TT was easier to control, that Nissan was on the edge of a big off the whole way round!

Put it this way, in the hands of normal enthusiastic drivers I reckon the TT would be quicker.

Also, the TT DSG has launch control which is pretty impressive apparently. Well it didn't look to me like Vikki used it (perhapsd she wasn't made aware of it). Don't think it'd have won the TT the race, but would have narrowed the gap.

Oh, and at least she's stopped squealing quite so much when she gets excited! ROLLEY~14.GIF

Noticed a couple of obvious digs at Top Gear too, like Tiff making the point that they were on "a proper race track, not a big airfield with loads of room to spin". Bit of a dig at the Top Gear track I thought, and the Stigs occasional piroetes perhaps...? There was another obvious Top Gear dig too, but forget what it was now...

Oh yeah, I remember the other dig, although it might have been coincidendal. On Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson was banging on about the performance from a 1.3 litre engine, then on Fifth Gear Tiff was saying "ignore people who know nothing about engines spouting on about it being a 1.3 litre, because of the different engine type (****el) it is actually akin to a 2.5-3.0 engine". grin.gif

From every review I have read of the 350z it is a TT beater, look at the 0-60, sure you lose the 4WD but there are plenty of rear wheel drive cars that out handle TT's. I did see my first 350z on the motorway the other day and was dissapointed the pictures in magazines flatter it the back end looks cheap and should make more of the twin exausts admittedy though is was in a dung.gif orange colour. There are too many cars now that either keep up (R type) or are faster (350z) than the TT, Audi should have made the DSG faster it really should be up there with a Scooby.

[ QUOTE ]

Well, Mazda says it's 1.3, and they should know I guess, since they bloody made it... smashfreakB.gif

And I'd have a 3.2 DSG TT over a Mazda any day... ha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it was entered in a competition ( the design that is ) and it was deemed to fall into the 2.5 - 3.0l category!! crazy.gif Wonder what is is in the eyes of the DVLA as it would reduce your road fund licenece quite a bit!! beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the TT DSG has launch control which is pretty impressive apparently. Well it didn't look to me like Vikki used it (perhapsd she wasn't made aware of it).

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK the launch control didn't make it to production cars! FIREdevil.gif.

With respect to the 1.3l and DVLA, i guess it would fall under the category of "cars with an unrecognised cylinder capacity" as it would do from a company car taxation point of view.

It is defo a 1.3L, but as discussed on here , ****el engines are much more efficient than the traditional piston/cyclinder engines. smashfreakB.gif

Why do people automatically assume 4 wheel drive *MUST* be faster than rear wheel? You think it makes transition time round a bend faster? Course it bloody doesn't. Ok it might give advantage on exit to a corner depending on the driver - and for your average driver its *safer* but to automatically assumes its faster by default is just wrong. 4 wheel drive does not overcome the laws of physics wink.gif

I am a very great fan of Nissan Motosport products - from the 200sx through the Skylines...They make sweet handling cars, and they make them *very* well. I have had 3 200sx's - and how many warranty claims did I have? 2 across all of them and both for the same thing - broken handle on the seat forward.

I saw a fair few 350's in Australia and they are one sweet looking motor although the darker colours look better. Saw a few RX8s too, nice laugh.gif

Not surpised it was faster than the TT. 10% more power as well as, I would imagine, lighter.

No launch control used and why didn't VBH use the sport mode instead of the paddles?

Thing is, it's the Tiffany Dell show and he doesn't like FWD/4WD and if a car doesn't hang its arse out at every corner ('cos that's dead important on your daily commute) it's crap.

Still if fastest car on the track was what they were looking for they probably found the right car. Only one element to a car and most TTs and 350Zs will never go near a track in their lives.

Biased, me? Yes. But then again I'm right!

[ QUOTE ]

With respect to the 1.3l and DVLA, i guess it would fall under the category of "cars with an unrecognised cylinder capacity" as it would do from a company car taxation point of view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engine size has absolutely no relevence to company car tax these days, its worked on a percentage of the list price of car and the percentage is based on the cars emissions to penalise drivers of higher emission cars. Unfortunately the RX8 is quite bad in this respect I believe...

[ QUOTE ]

Why do people automatically assume 4 wheel drive *MUST* be faster than rear wheel? You think it makes transition time round a bend faster? Course it bloody doesn't. Ok it might give advantage on exit to a corner depending on the driver - and for your average driver its *safer* but to automatically assumes its faster by default is just wrong. 4 wheel drive does not overcome the laws of physics wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4 wheel drive won't get any more steady state lateral grip, what it does do is allow you to get the power down coming out of a bend much harder and much earlier particularly in slippery conditions. On a dry track however the advantage is as you say negligible.

I certainly wasn't surprised to see the 350Z win, however in the wet it may have been a different story (witness the S4 and RS6 demolishing all comers on Top Gear on a wet track).

Also as has been stated in the real world with real drivers I doubt the 350Z would see which way the TT DSG went! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Engine size has absolutely no relevence to company car tax these days, its worked on a percentage of the list price of car and the percentage is based on the cars emissions to penalise drivers of higher emission cars. Unfortunately the RX8 is quite bad in this respect I believe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I meant under the previous tax regime they used to have a section for cars without a recognisable capacity!

smashfreakB.gif