Cleaning & Protecting Those 18" Alloys

Groover

Does anyone have any tips about cleaning and protecting the R32's Oz alloys?

They look gorgeous but I suspect they will be biatches to clean.

Someone recommended a wax product that helps to reduce the static and positive charge that builds up on wheels and helps to attract the adhesive buildup from the brake pads.

Any tips or should I start saving toothbrushes now?

Groover - Perth WA

=========================

Robin Reliant 1971 - Yoshimura Sureslips x 3

Theres a prodcut called wheel wax which as the name suggests is a wax specifically designed for wheels. I've been using it for a while now and it does make the wheels easier to clean and less crap sticks to them.

But pretty much any wax will help to keep them clean and will make then easier to clean as well.

(How many more times can I get clean into a post...)

J.

I use Wheel Wax on my A4 wheels, and I can't really say that it's worth the money over something like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish.

Sure, it helps make the dust easier to get off the wheels, but only for a while. Washing the wheels weekly with a jet-wash and a soapy songe is probably just as good unless you are completely anal about cleaning.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I h8 cleaning alloys, but the R32's Oz's are too pretty to be left caked in brake dust.

I think (following your advice) once I take delivery I will drive home without braking and take off each wheel and wax them (Inside and out) to within an inch of their lives, we're talking such a complete wax-job it'll make Paris Hilton's bikini-line look like Jo Brand's.

Then hopefully a jet wash once a week will help me avoid skinning my knuckles between those spokes.

• 1 month later...

How WELL does this product actually work? Any users/testers/suckers out there? hehehe I am going to order some to try it, but I wanted to see how you guys like it first? I see one person likes it. So all you do after its applied is just rinse with soap and water quickly and the brake just just comes right off? Gimme the details, and the entrails smile.gif hehehe (Sorry, just watched Pirates of the Carribean) grin.gif

I have been using P21S wheel cleaner for years with excellent results. It is available in a spray or as a gel and is approved by Porsche and BMW because it is not highly acidic like many other wheel cleaners.

Number one mod I make on every new car is to replace the OEM brake pads with aftermarket pads that produce less dust. Mintex, Axxis/Repco, etc.

rick