Toddler broken leg

davyk31

My 2½ year old daughter broke 2 bones in her shin 5 weeks ago. Plaster came off last Thursday but they didn't do another Xray just said it would def be healed. Is this normal?

Also she has not walked on it yet as I guess she remembers the pain and holds back. I also assume the leg is very weak as she has not used it for 5 weeks. She does crawl on it and has put weight on it when stepping into a chair so do not think there is any pain. We talk to her about walking but she always just says "sore knee". Any advice?

It's pretty normal just to come out of plaster and not have another x-ray.

At it's also normal to have some pain and stiffness too. Some physiotherapy might be in order, so you could ask your Gp about that.

See how it goes, and if she doesn't start in improve, or indeed walk on it, then seek further advice.

• 1 month later...

That's rough for you and your daughter! Hope she improves soon for you.

As mentioned above, perhaps I trip to the GP and some physio on it might get her mind over the trauma? The reason she is not walking is the "sore knee" so just taking the plaster off and assuming she will walk may not be enough for her. The physio will encourage her to get back walking and she will feel like he has done something special and fixed the knee?

All in the mind, but totally understandable too!

• 4 weeks later...

Kids that age will have "poorly leg" for weeks. Often see them limping for several months after minor knocks. Kids bones always heal (as long as they are in an OK position and normal bone i.e. not brittle), and it is best not to have X-rays unnecessarily at that age.

Greenstick fractures often heal a bit wonky - I usually see it in arms - so the kid has a bendy arm, but it all straightens out as they grow. The only situation where it isn't straightforward is a fracture affecting the growth plates.

Basically at some stage in the near future she will forget the poorly leg and be back to normal. Unfortunately physio etc doesn't work on kids that age, so you've just got to wait until she forgets. Best of luck!

Jim

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about her leg, my daughter broke her arm in October (whilst I was in charge unfortunately) and when she came out of cast I dont think they did another xray.

At least she is out of cast now and children heal so quickly you guys will be back to normal within weeks.

I hope she is back to normal quick fast.

169144-ok.gif