CD changer or not CD changer, that is the question

nobrot

With the boxter having a CD up front I am not bothered about the changer, as having to open the bonnet and remove the cart when I can just swap them in the head unit seems easier? I will be fitting Bose although will prob not have music on as the engine sounds so good notworthy.gif For the sake of just £344 is it a must have item for resale?

The problem is that I believe on the new models you cannot retro fit the changer very easily or cheaply, so if you think you might want one now is the tiem to do it.

The sat nav is pretty good - had it on our last boxster. and IMO Bose is well worth the money as I was just a little disappointed with the standard set up.

[ QUOTE ]

The sat nav is pretty good

[/ QUOTE ] I kind of fancy it but wouldn't use it enough to justify the price, maybe 6 times a year? Being into my music and having had bose in the audi (and listening to my mates boseless one) I consider it a must have but I wouldn't let bose in the house dung.gif

faithless - seriously get the autchanger

in 2003 Boxsters the have that MOST fibre optic cabling and you can triple that price to retro fit even if it is even possible (which it may not be)

PCM is an option of last choice and mega budget - there are other options I recommend you buy for resale and for £344 the changer is one of them.

Other options which should be specced if you ever think you would wish to retro fit

PSM

Litronic

PSP or Bose (std spec is appaling, PSP is fine quality wise but no rear speakers, Bose is vr good but not good value for money - go PSP minimum and Bose if you can afford it)

what is your planned spec at the mo? 2.7 or S?

FWIW my spec is:

2002 Boxster S - Seal grey, full black leather, 18" Turbo IIs, PSM, Litronic, heated seats, PSP, CD changer, OBC, cruise, wind deflector, stainless steel door entry plates, top tint (woohoo!), small arctic silver pack, 03 rear lights, smart top

Thanks Adam, I thought the autochanger would probably be a must, I guess I can put my fave disks in the changer and keep the front slot for musical whims. PSM, Litronic and PSP are all standard on the 550 LE which I have ordered as it alredy has PSP it will only be about 430 extra for the Bose smile.gif

My spec at the mo, there really isn't too much to add to the 550LE as most of it is on but here goes

I want the grey carreras, depending on what the hood looks like I'm favouring the brown interior. Extras I will include are Bose SS, and CD autochanger (ta). Can't wait till March, after reading your review are you still enjoying yours?

didn't realise you were getting the 550 - represents very good value at £41.7k

might as well add CDC and Bose - cruise is a waste of time but PCM would be good if you cvan afford

I quite like the seal grey alloys and even don't mind the brown interior - but like you say not sure about the hood

yeah still loving mine - even with roof up in the pi**ing rain ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

cruise is a waste of time

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly, but after traveling to the NEC this weekend with my BMW loving mate I have changed my mind. I don't do lots of motorway driving but on the odd long journey it would be useful. The main thing was when we were driving through a camera hotspot he set it then there could be no flashes! And for just £293 this could save my already vulnerable licence, yes they are easy enough to spot, but rather than over-concentrating on the speed I can look where I'm going! and with a car like this (just like the TT) it is too easy to gain the extra few mph needed to trigger them.

I agree if you do lots of motorway miles

for £300 its neither here nor there in terms cost of car but I have consciously tried to use my cruise on a few occasions on motorways and found it impossible

set it to say 80mph (which I would never do as this is illegal znaika.gif) and see if you can maintain that speed for more than 100m w/o touching brakes

I found it impossible - some idiot would pull in the gap in front decreasing my safe distance or the general speed of the traffic would increase or reduce

maybe if you use motorways at quiet times (when?) you might get more use

Well, the deed is done! I have finalised the spec on my 550 Boxter order. As said earlier Grey wheels/cocoa leather, Bose and CDC I did go for cruise control in the end and requested crests embossed into the head rests although this isn't an official option on the 550 and might not happen frown.gif

My dealer JCT Brooklands said that the interior colour/hood choice is split 50/50 which was a bit of a surprise as the general oppinion on the forums has grey way ahead.

He also said that they had no idea how many they would be allocated, or when first delivery would be, Porsche say March but its not difinately going to be the 1st (probably will be, but not commiting).