GUTTED !!!! Biggest mistake of my car career !!!!

leesykoi

Thks for all the posts guys and girls.

Indeed the mistake was all mine and if the dealer do come up with something it will be a bonus (i am a business user and they know i renew my car every 18mths - 2yrs).

Not sure if the dealers possible solution is a replacement car or a retrofit (poss replacement).

Either way he's going to report back to me tomorrow as my man at the dealer has been on holiday mon/tues.

Done 550 miles down to Yorkshire then up to Glasgow and back home over the past few days on business and enjoyed driving the 5. So much better than the A4.

Lee.

Problem you have getting a quote from BMW is they are going to look at it like this...

Nav computer £1800

8" Monitor £1700

Install time 4 hours £500

Coding 8 Hours £1000

Total cost £5000

I would look at it like this, parts off ebay £250-500.

Install time you can do it takes no more than 30 minutes, it is dead easy.

The coding although takes all day doesn't need someone on the car, so they can do that for nothing for you, it is the same as anything on a bmw these days, it has to talk to Germany, so although it takes all day they should not be charging you all day as it only takes someone 10 minutes to plug it in and press 'update'.

Just had the call from the dealer.

He's offered me a 525DM Sport with 6k on the clock and on a 56 plate for an additional £2k. Car has full media pack,M-Sport spoiler,full leather but std 18" wheels (kind of think mine looks good with the 19"s on)

Politely said thanks but no thanks.

By all accounts BMW nav isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

Going to get the Road Angel 9000 which has full GPRS live updates and try and get it hardwired.

I'll get some pics posted up over the weekend when she's all clean and shiny (got another long trip lined up tomorrow where it'll get dirty again).

Cheers.

Lee. beerchug.gif

Thks for all the comments either way regarding the replacement option and retrofit (wish i had the guts to attempt it but not being of that inclination it seems a big job).

Decided not to go with the 525d as well if i had of liked it i would have bought it in the first place (was already at the dealers when i bought the 520d).

Reason for not buying it....

Silver (my last 4 cars have been silver and i thought the 520d in space grey looked really nice).Although with media pack overall the spec is not as good as the 520d.Last but not least it is a 56 plate rather than just 5mths old as the 520d.Also the dealer wanted an additional £2k cash on top of what i'm paying for the 520d and overall that was over the odds for that car.

Tried the NAV in a pals 530DM Sport and well i wasn't that overwhelmed with it.

Ordeal over and next time i'll double check the spec before signing.......Doh !!!!!

iamwithstupid.gif

Cheers.

Lee. 169144-ok.gif

Cheers Al,

Doing that as i like the car so much now. Had a heavy week and done over 1k miles this week and it's a joy to drive. Can't wait to get finished for the weekend so i can give it a wash (still waiting for my black grilles to be delivered as well) 123576-assfeck.gif

Last question..... Has anyone hard-wired in their sat-nav's as i've ordered a RoadAngel 9000 with built in GPRS updates and ideally i'd like to hard-wire it and mount it somewhere where i can remove it but not with the windscreen sticky thing !!! (in my A4 i used a powered Brodit mount for the TomTom)

Cheers Lee.

Take the power from the lighter, feed the cable through under the steering wheel and then up the door seal and tick it under the a pillar trim.

I always use a female lighter socket when hard wiring, and then tuck that behind the pocket that sits under your lights, that unscrews in 30 seconds so if you need to add another bit of kit it is a 2 minute job.

• 1 month later...