how to avoid the disc within alloys getting rusty

gb110430

just had a new car , fantastic alloys a week old, and noticed inside the alloys where the metal disc is it is starting to go yellow and looking like rust is forming. ive seen this on many new cars in forecourts but was hoping this would not happen to me... im sure many of you the same is happening or has happened. what can i do to reduce this, are there any products or will just a cloth and water do ???

cheers

Your brake disc will always rust. Indeed it will do it whilst you watch if the conditions are right! znaika.gif

This is perfecly normal. The discs are cast from grey, cast iron and will easily oxidise to form a protective layer.

The fist time you brake the thin rust layer is mechanically removed by the brake pads. If you are sufficiently anal about it drive around the block to shine up those discs !

You cant really stop the hub rusting either unfortuantely. You can paint them though. Eeventually the heat and corrosion will mean the paint comes off. Hammerite sounds like a good idea. They even do a heat resistant spray thats meant fo ruse on cast iron firplaces which would probably work well.

HAHA!! I have mentioned this so often, you a nice detailed car and of course rust all over the disc. I think if you have a truely special car you have those ceramic ones, they dont rust?

Still for everyone else....you could take it for a short drive and break a few times then give the wheels a wipe. A short lived though.

Geoff

Or, you could get some of those zinc? treated EBC disks. They have a gold colour to them and don't rust (at least they didn't when they were fittted to my VX). I think somebody also produces black discs that don't rust either.

But the cheapest solution, as suggested above, is to drive around the block a couple of times gently applying the brakes.

[ QUOTE ]

You cant really stop the hub rusting either unfortuantely. You can paint them though. Eeventually the heat and corrosion will mean the paint comes off. Hammerite sounds like a good idea. They even do a heat resistant spray thats meant fo ruse on cast iron firplaces which would probably work well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its still ok 6 months later which surprised even me being that hammerite is not the greatest product around.

• 2 months later...

I just took the wheels off and slapped silver smoothrite over the hub part of the disc. It was on one of the few warm days last summer so it dried quickly so wheels went back on after an hour or so. Still no rust 10k miles later.

If you have new discs just degrease first to remove any shipping oil I would think.