Tyre pressures

Smudge

I normally put 36psi in the front tyres and 34psi in the rear tyres.

I haven't really thought about what effect being cold and wet has on the best tyre pressures.

When I come to change the tyres I don't think I will go with the Mich Pilot Sports again though. They're good in the dry, but I find they have very poor lateral grip and are not very progressive when they lose grip in the wet (grip for accelerating and braking seems fine though).

In my olg 1.8T I used to run them quite high in the summer months and a bit lower in the winter due to the wetter weather. You can adjust your cars handling slightley by adjusting tyre pressures more understeer over steer, sharper turn in etc, adjust the pressures and have a play until you find a setup you like.

With regards to tyres the Toyo's will wear a lot quicker than the GSD3's plus the toyos aren;t as good in the wet. The GSD3's are a very steerable tyre on the limit and nice and progressive too.

J.

[ QUOTE ]

The GSD3's are a very steerable tyre on the limit and nice and progressive too.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Goodyear F1 GSD3s on my anni car right now. and it definately has pretty good grip in the dry. In the wet... My front tires always spin on acceleration.. but then again, I basically drag race every stop sign. I cant wait for my R32. MMMmmmmmmmm Awd. smile.gif

The progressive slip of the GSD3s on a road course is actaully pretty good in the wet, but espcially good in the dry. Very progressive slip. Nice.

[ QUOTE ]

With regards to tyres the Toyo's will wear a lot quicker than the GSD3's plus the toyos aren;t as good in the wet. The GSD3's are a very steerable tyre on the limit and nice and progressive too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with you on the wear of the Toyo's however, wet grip is unparalleled on my A4. The Pilot Sports which were originally on the A4 were absolutely awful (had a nasty aquaplaning experience once, passing a 40 ton truck!). The Toyo's stick like glue when cornering either in the wet or dry.

What are GSD3's ?

The GSD3's are the latest version of the Goodyear Eagle F1's, on my 1.8t I ran the Toyo's to start off with and they where pretty good in the dry and not too nad in the wet when they where new, as they started to wear (rather quickley I might add) the wet weather handling/grip was aweful. I cahnged over to the Goodyears and the difference was amazing. I'm currentley runing the toyo's again on my MCS as Goodyear dont make a 215/35/18 (they do a 225/35/18 but that would be a bit too much on the MCS) and again they are really good in the dry but wet weather has the car sliding all over the place.

J.

[ QUOTE ]

Might give the F1's a try then when the Pilot Sports wear out on the R32.

I have to say, the grip on my Toyo's improved as they wore, but they are 235/45's, so maybe the compound is a little different.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the dry I would definately agree it's just that in the wet they aren;t that much cop IMHO of course,the GSD3's are almost as good in the dry but a million times better in the wet...

J.

[ QUOTE ]

What's the wear like on the F1's? I've heard they can be a quite heavy? How many miles have you got out of a set?

Al.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my old 1.8T (chipped and thrashed at every given opportunity...) I used to get 18K out of a set of fronts and around double that for the rears compared to approx 12K for the toyo's. That was running a 225/40/18

J.

ya know.... I had the pilots, and then I'm using the GSD3 F1s now. I like them, but I think the Pilots were a firmer tire. Maybe less flex in em or something. The F1s seem a little more flexible, less firm. The F1s grip well, although I like the grip on the Pilots better I think. The wet grip in the F1s is better than the Pilots I feel.

THe grip on the F1s is very progressive and the tyres are very easy to feel when they are reaching their limits, which maximizes control. All in all, I'm going to try the Pilots again. To see how they are again. Th4en I'll make a final decision. The tread on the F1s is wearing the same as thr Pilots though.

-GR

For my part, I have the Pilot Sport I (there is also the new Pilot Sport II that it's fitted in the Porsche GT3 and for what I have heard it's much better than the Pilot Sport I) and I feel them better in wet than the Bridgestone RE 040 that I had in my old S3 and much better in dry conditions.

The F1 GDS3 has got some rewards by the press as the best tyre of 2003... wink.gif but it's very expensive compare to the others, (secially the Bridgestone S03, The Tyre).