HELP!!!!!

daddyjohal

As far as the alarm goes, it should arm automatically when you lock the car. You can check for this by seeing if the LED's in the tops of the doors are flashing once it is locked. To disarm the alarm, when you unlock the car you must put the key in the ignition and switch the ignition on.

As far as the key fobs not being recognised by the car, I think thats one for the dealer.

The CD player should continue to play when you switch the engine off. It should normally shut down when you remove the key from the ignition (this is so you can listen to the stereo if you are sat in the car with the engine off). The stereo comes back on when you turn the ignition on (not just when you put the key in the ignition, you have to turn it).

Hope that helps.

when i lock the car manually, the central locking kicks in but the alarm still doesn't arm itself. when i unlock the car, the central locking doesn't work until i put the key into the ingnition and start the engine up! i know what you're saying about the cd player still playing whilst the key is in the ignition, but even after i take it out and get of the car and lock the doors, the cd player still carries on!

this may sound daft, but i can only assume that for some reason the car thinks my key is still in the ignition even when it's not, which may explain why the alarm won't arm (can't alarm the car while you're driving) and why the stereo keeps on working (the car still thinks i'm sitting in it). the dashboard shows no faults, so maybe it's a mechanical fault in the key mechanism??

clutching at straws...

[ QUOTE ]

this may sound daft, but i can only assume that for some reason the car thinks my key is still in the ignition even when it's not, which may explain why the alarm won't arm (can't alarm the car while you're driving) and why the stereo keeps on working (the car still thinks i'm sitting in it). the dashboard shows no faults, so maybe it's a mechanical fault in the key mechanism??

clutching at straws...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound daft at all, that would make perfect sense. The key fob buttons wouldn't work if the car thought the ignition key was still in, likewise the alarm wouldn't arm upon locking the doors, and the CD would keep working. I think you may have your problem there, good work!

Just a thought, when you remove the key do you get a mechanical solid "clunk"? I do, think it's the steering lock engaging or something. If you're not getting that it'd add even more weight to your theory.

Hope you're able to solve it without too much difficulty. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just a thought, when you remove the key do you get a mechanical solid "clunk"? I do, think it's the steering lock engaging or something. If you're not getting that it'd add even more weight to your theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above sounds a distinct possibility.

When I had my Cab the ignition barrel would stick 8 times out of 10 and when that happened the CD wouldn't turn off and the remote wouldn't work.

What I had to do was, when turning off the ignition, turn the key firmly back to the off position, then when you remove the key it should go 'clunk'. If that doesn't work wriggle the key in the barrel and then remove and hopefully that should sort it.

When its jammed you can see the central silver barrel is recessed and even sticking your finger on it and wiggling it can sort it out smile.gif

Hope this helps

it was an electrical switch in the ignition barrel - 1 hour job - £140. the guys at Leicester Audi wanted me to book the car in and pay to have a 'diagnostic session' to evaluate the problem, but after i politely refused to be ripped off, a technician came to the car, took a twenty second look at it and told me what the problem was. he then gave me the damage - £140.

i've owned Impreza Turbos, a Honda Prelude, an SLK Merc, a BMW 535i (V8) and an E36 321BHP M3 Evo. i can honestly say that Audi dealers are an absolute rip off. They charge for absolutely everything and anything, and they charge an absolute fortune.

I love my S4, but if i can't find a decent dealer who doesn't try to rip me off at every opportunity, i can see myself jumping back into an M3.

[ QUOTE ]

Glad you sussed out what it was anyway, we were right weren't we!? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes we were. but get this. i got quoted £140 for an electrical switch in the ingnition barrel, this was replaced but it made no difference, so the dealer has now decided that it is definitely the actual barrel. to replace the whole barrel including the electrical switch - £118. go figure?????