VXR8

MajorH

Just about to take the plunge back into driving a real car again (my R32 was stolen in March this year) and have been offered a real good deal on a Phantom Black VXR8, was wondering if there was anyone out there who had one and could give me some feedback on living with one, I know that fuel bills maybe quite high as well as insurance, but is it the bargain it first seems?

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice having not owned one, but if you do decide to buy one, post a thread in General Cars as I would be keen to hear what the ups and downs of ownership are. Personally, I think they're pretty awesome cars - a lot of power for the money and awesome handling for a heavy car. Top Gear rated it it highly. Having said that, and I hope I dont sound out of line here, perhaps a wee bit chavvy ? No offence intended, just my opinion... 169144-ok.gif

The dealer has a Red demo which looks a bit Halfrauds maxpowerish, but in black it hides it a bit better. My main concern would be having it serviced etc as I live most of the time in Italy and its a RHD car only. The only other car I was considering was a 4.6 Stang.

A fine car to drive if you are after a decent V8 4 door car. I still prefer Coupe's so the Monaro is enough for me at the moment. Drove the VXR8 around Thruxton a few times, and it didnt disappoint.

And if you want to throw in a few xtra quid for some goodies, this is how it sounds with some WORTEC toys on it. 169144-ok.gif

Stock is about 420ish I believe, but the cars in the vid are pushing 600hp. The one all black VXR8 and The custom coloured Maloo have the same engine tune and are supercharged at 600bhp. I believe the Black VXR8 with the orange stripes and black alloys (OEM 20" wheels) is pushing a considerable amount more.

Seriously tempted at £32000 with no part ex, the R32 I had was only just south of 30k. Presume it would have to be a keeper as depreciation may be quite savage. Didn't realise that GM had an approved tuning source (makes perfect sense) anyway test drive tomorrow and its been pissing down here all day on and off.

I have to admit to straying onto Autotrader looking at VXR8's, there was a Wortec tweaked one on there too.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 2,900 miles, Grey. UK Main Dealer Supplied, One owner from New. First registered July 2007. Includes following modifications: 1. Wortec electronically switchable exhaust. 2. Wortec power upgrade, ECU re-map. 3. Cold air intake mod. In total gives around 475bhp. M5 space and pace at half the price. With the switchable exhaust it sounds like thunder on wheels or just a crackling V8 burble, as you wish. £28,950.

I seriously doubt the thing would fit in my garage!

[ QUOTE ]

A fine car to drive if you are after a decent V8 4 door car. I still prefer Coupe's so the Monaro is enough for me at the moment. Drove the VXR8 around Thruxton a few times, and it didnt disappoint.

And if you want to throw in a few xtra quid for some goodies, this is how it sounds with some WORTEC toys on it. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MOSE, were you on the A19 (North East, heading up towards the A1 - near Cramlington) a few weeks back?

This one Mose. They call it "grey", looks more silver to me.

Link (not my postcode btw)

that video sounds fecking awesome. ECLIPSe.gifnotworthy.gif

I would love something with even half that engine note.

Ive kept an eye on Monaro's for a little while, and they are one hell of a car for the money. I also liked the coupe shape, I loved my Calibra 16v back when i was 19.

Parking is my issue. I only have my garage (no drive) and I seriously doubt I would get it between the pillars.

I trialled a loaner B7 A4 and it fitted, so a S4 was always a possibility, but nothing quite compares to that big american V8. smlove2.gif

feck, i havent even got to the end of the video, and already thinking i ought to have a measure up.

anyone free to hold the torch!

[ QUOTE ]

Servicing on the Monaro is £130 every 10k. Tyres.....well thats all dependent on choice but with 19s fitted with Toyos you are looking at around £785 fitted for all 4 corners.

Tuning wise......how fat is ya wallet?? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ha.gif classic!

10K miles service interval for UK cars, but GM Australia mandate a 10K km service interval for all hot Commodores (which the VRX8 is but one).

My only comments from working with people here that have had them are that if you get a lemon (and you'll find out p.d.q.) - dump it as fast as humanly possible, but if you get a good one, it'll be a keeper. 169144-ok.gif

My brother has a silver one as is deciding whether to have the supercharger fitted, he reckons it has enough power already.

I think they look good outside just not for me inside (handbrake is weird), he had an engine management problem (if i remeber correctly). Loads of room and the boot is huge, just not for me wink.gif