Just had a Long Life Service - Question on Oil

ysabelle

I've recently had alonglife service done on my R32 and the dealer used 5W-30W Shell Helix Ultra VX which I questioned at the time and was assured it was longlife oil. To be sure I had a look on the Shell website and it says it's suitable for VW longlife service regime. Although my 5.5l cost £60+VAT http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site...ra_ga_0707.html

Hmmm... it just says Shell Helix Oil and not the variant etc. I paid £197 all in and that included a brake fluid change. The other dealer wanted £260! I will ring up anonymously tomorrow to query what Long Life oil they use. The car has only done 7k miles in 2 years so may not be the end of the world......

[ QUOTE ]

I've recently had alonglife service done on my R32 and the dealer used 5W-30W Shell Helix Ultra VX which I questioned at the time and was assured it was longlife oil. To be sure I had a look on the Shell website and it says it's suitable for VW longlife service regime. Although my 5.5l cost £60+VAT http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site...ra_ga_0707.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if they've switched over from the Castrol Edge or whether the Shell is an alternative to it.

This used to be the recommended VW Longlife Oil as far as I know :

IMG_3177.jpg

The current Longlife spec is VW 504.00/507.00. Most of the oil companies (note I didn't say manufacturers as many brands are 'blended') market an oil to this spec.

The fact that your dealer may have put a bottle of Castrol in the boot doesn't mean the engine was filled with Castrol at the factory 169144-ok.gif

It's better to be safe than sorry. Unfortunately, these days, you can't take it for granted the dealer knows hat he's doing. In recent times any hassle I've had with my cars has been due to sloppy workmanship from various dealers.

Touch wood the local dealer I'm using now seem OK and have to date given me excellent service.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would give you all an update since the last service. Changing the brake fluid made a HUGE difference, the brakes are so much sharper. Also, since the ECU flash (VW recall)I have noticed that it pulls a lot harder from 4-6k. I always thought that it ran out of puff around 5k. So thumbs up!!

• 3 years later...
I have been offered a full service usins semisynthetic oils 10-40, would this be a long life service suitable for my seat ibiza?:D

10W-40, semi synthetic oil is not longlife oil. You can use this oil but it will need to be changed in 10k miles / 12 months.

Longlife oil is fully synthetic and meets the specs VW504.00 / VW507.00. Something like Castrol Edge 5W-30