Sounds nasty - any ideas?

StealthMullet

Wife has just got back from shopping, apparently our 2001 Passat TDI 130 just made a loud bang and has since lost power. It runs and can drive but lots of black smoe pouring out the back and no pulling power at all, I took a quick look at it and I can't hear the turbo winding up at all.

I've searched the forums and that word MAF has cropped up a few times but could it really be responsible for a loud *bang" as well as smoke and loss of power?

Hah! Well you're spot on mate I can see a thick pipe at the front has come off (absolutely filthy) but every time I attach it it comes off again as soon as I reve the engine. Tried taking the metal clip off and squeezing it to make it tighter but that hasn't worked either.

So to avoid a fate worse than death (so my wife tells me, bloody cheek as I'm spending Sunday afternoon trying to fix her car) any ideas on how to sort that or is it going to need a replacement part?

I cant remember the exact price for the part (guessing around £60.00), but its a nice quite easy fit. A bit tight for room to get at the bottom connection.

Have you had it near a dealer? My mate hsa a Skoda VRS that had the same problem straight after a service! No matter how i fitted the clip it blew straight off, spotted the clip seemed wrong. Swapped it with the upper clip (one had the twist at the end the other way) and it fitted perfect and hasn't blown off since!

Would have been a new turbo etc if it had gone back to Skoda! All under warrenty, but still loads of hastle and making the car look bad just to make a few quid. Crafty gits!

Edited to add.... You can't tighten the clip (its not that type), it locates behind tabs to hold it in place 169144-ok.gif

Swapping the clip didn't work and Jubilee clip didn't work even though there's a perfectly shaped space for it on the rubber cup that the hose slots in to.

Oh well I'm out of time so off to the garage it will have to be at leat I know what's wrong and can tell them to fix that specific thing only!

Thanks so much for the assistance you're all stars.