Which clay ??

spikeyboy

I know this subject has been the item of a few posts but just wanted to know a quick question.

went to clay my car at the weekend (nice weather) only to find out the damn mice in the garage had decided to have a good old chew in it (megs quick clay kit clay).

So now i need some new clay, rather than purchase another megs quick clay kit (as have loads of detailing spray) what clay should i purchase for a 2003 S4 Avant (noggy blue) and where is the best place to purchase said clay ?

Also my usual process for claying is:

1) Foam with mix of hyperwash and NXT shampoo.

2) Wash with NXT shampoo.

3) Dry.

4) Clay.

5) Wash with NXT Shampoo

6) Dry.

7) Apply SRP

8) Apply EGP.

9) Apply Pinnacle wax.

is there anything else i shoul dbe doing after the claying ? have read abount paint cleaners ?

Thanks

Hello Spikey,

You dont need a pintwork cleaner as SRP does that.

If you drying using MF drying towels you really dont need to was again after clay if you dry with QD. If you have WW then its well worth washing again.

Lots of people use the Sonus green stuff on here, check ebay as there are plenty of sales about on this stuff right now!

Geoff

Thanks.

Sorry what is WW ?

So i could just do the following ?

1) Foam with mix of hyperwash and NXT shampoo.

2) Wash with NXT shampoo.

3) Dry (using megs water magnet and Der Wunder drying MF - use both as never find one is enough to get car totally dry).

4) Clay - using megs QD.

7) Apply SRP

8) Apply EGP.

9) Apply Pinnacle wax.

Also would i get better application and results apply the SRP and EGP with something like the Megs G220 ? been thinking of getting one, but not sure im brave enough to use for removing swirls yet - so wondered if it was worth getting to apply SRP etc - currently apply SRP using megs terry applicator sponge and EGP using megs applicator foam.

Hello

WW is waffel weave the more conventional drying towel. There is no need to dry to after step 2, just rinse the car. The extra water on the car will help your lube go further.

Personally, post claying i just spray the car with water to knock of the residue of clay, water and qd mix. Then QD and Microfibre drying towel. Its probably best for you decide when you do it if you think you can do it this way. If you dont feel comfortble just wash the car post claying and dry as normal.

With regard SRP and EGP by machine; SRP can be appled by machine but it can clog the pads. EGP is hand only applied product (IMO).

Its best to stick with dedicated polishes for the machines, but it doesnt mean you have to start with something aggressive or difficult to you use.

Geoff

Sonus Green also!

I used SRP via a Megs Polishing pad at the weekend with very good results - much better than by hand. Geoff has a point in that it can clog a pad - I think I am going to have a dedicated pad for SRP. Mind you a good soak in warm water and fairy then rinsed through before going in the machine for a wash will see it good 169144-ok.gif