Shall I get BIGGER wheels ?

Kevin_G

I replaced my BMW 325D with a 330d touring, E46, 2002. I find the ride a bit hard and it tramlines quite a lot. Can I change the wheels for 16" models (loads on eBay) and will it make a noticeable difference? Some places I read 17" is the smallest wheel, some say 16" are ok.

You can put 15's on if you want, but they will look pants!! wink.gif

Firstly I would look at tyres, what have you got on there at the moment??

Alot of the guys who have had tramlining problems have said after putting Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on it pretty much goes away completely.

Not sure about 15" wheels - the bloke at tyres "r" us says the discs are far too big. My question is partly, are 16" wheels too big, no, I mean small, to fit? Tyres - the fronts are new 225/45ZR17 91Y Fulda Exelero TL. Rear, they're what it came with, Dunlop SP Sport 225/45 ZR17.

What I really meant to say and my post title is all confused, can I go DOWN to 16" wheels for an improved ride, on the 330d ?

You can go down to 16's but I am not sure you will notice a difference, I had a 2002 touring and went from 16's to the 18" sport wheels and noticed no real change, however I put Pilot Sport 2 tyres on.

I would look at changing the tyres mate, for a start mixed tyres on a rwd BMW is a complete no no!!

It makes the car handle really strangely, search on www.bmwland.co.uk as this has been discussed so many times, and everyone always comes back after putting a set of 4 decent tyres on praising the ride afterwards.

169144-ok.gif