Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric, on an S3 (8P)

AZURES3

Guys

Had 4 of these fitted to the S3 this morning by my local trusted tyre centre. Paid £114 per tyre including fiiting & balance etc 169144-ok.gif

The guys at the tyre centre said all 4 Conti 2 sport contact tyres were on about 2mm after 14,000 miles, they had been rotated at 7,000 miles. So could of left them another month but they felt very used.

I have to say I love the look of the new Goodyear and the Evo tyre tests really swung it for me. Interestingly enough the tyre centre said take it easy for the first 250 miles especially in this weather with these tyres. Talies with Evo's comments about these tyres but to be honest all new tyres should be bedded in surely.

Intilial impressions after 100 miles today are a great improvement of the Conti's. Admiteldy with an extra 5mm plus of rubber the ride should be better but it seems much more sure footed and the tyre noise if reduced over the Conti's, this included all of the lovely UK's road surfaces crazy.gif The feedback from the steering is greatly improved over the Conti's too 169144-ok.gif

At this price, their great appearance and the price they seem a good buy 169144-ok.gif

Will keep you updated.

Tread pattern pic below

1300888-tireimage_F1_AS.jpg

AZ

post-137-137914412749_thumb.jpg

I've had mine on for a few weeks now and I am very happy with them. They are superb in the dry and pretty good in the wet also. Certainly better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx they replaced and I was pretty happy with them. The big difference is the noise levels. Seem much quieter than the Dunlops. The only unknown is whether they will last like the Dunlops (17k). My previous experience of Goodyears tells me they most likely won't.....

Overall, very happy with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had them on my car for approx 2 weeks now and still suffering from vibrations @ 70-75 mph.

The car was taken back to the garage after week one as I complained abut the vibrations, they re-balanced the fronts, apparently requiring 20g on the re-balance.

They said that the rears didn't need doing.

What shall I do, go back and demand they sort them out, what are my options?

otherwise seem like great tyres.

Is the vibration through your seat or the steering wheel. If through your seat, it would mean rear wheels and steering wheel - front wheels.

I would go back and get all the tyres spun 180 degrees on the rim and then rebalanced, this should sort your problem for you.

Oh and Ive got these tyres going on my 19" MTM Bimota's for the S3

20g to rebalance ???

How did they manage balance them the first time. Something not quite right there. You might want to have them checked on a different balance machine.

I thought tyres came with a dot to be lined up with or mounted directly across from the valve to identify heavy / light part of tyre. can't remember which.

I have F1 Asymmetrics fitted and they are brilliant

I have completed 1000 miles on these tyres now and they are fantastic. Very sticky and the road noise is noticebaly better than the conti's. It seem to suffer less tramlining too and on wet round abouts it is in a different league.

The mild pulling to the right on accelrration was cured by Audi doing a 4wheel tracking of the car. It was only subtle but it did need a minor adjustment and since then ECLIPSe.gif

They are great tyres. 169144-ok.gif

We will have to see about the life of them though wink.gif

AZ

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI Guys,

i have had GYF1's assys on my Rs6 now for a good 2 years, going through 4 sets. I came from Perelli rosso's as I was not happy with their performance, in the dry they were ok-just but in the wet they were dire.

I put on as set of F1's and OMG!! They were awesome, in all conditions.

Like someones else said- for me its about grip not wear rates (BUT the longer the better :) )and was getting about 10k out of them being driven hard.

i did make the mistake of listeneing to my wallet and went for the Vredestien ultrac sesanta, which a few 6ers were raving about- they were absolutely shite, the car was undriveable at anything more than a slow crawl, stick it in to a corner and it was like a blancmange. they lasted about 500 miles before I dtched them and put a new set of F1's on, and now.....its on rails again! I wouldn't have believed tyres can make THAT much difference, but by God, I do now!

You must be the only person I've ever heard not to be happy with the vredestiens, I've found them easily a match for F1's and they last longer too, perhaps you just didn't give them time to run in at only 500 miles?

Yup, tried everything with them. even had Vred tech check them out. Just did not suit my car/driving style/set up.

There are not many, granted that have had a bad time with them but there are a few.

i went with the general concensus that they were great, but found them wanting. maybe that the other RS6ers were running 275's instead of the 255's i run, or power.suspension set up played a part??

We did a cross sectional tread measurement to compare contact areas on the F1's and the Vreds...... the f1's had just under half as much again actual tyre in contact with the road.......

Also, and this surprised a lot of peeps, the Vreds are a true summer tyre and will only perform to spec over 7 degC. that in writing from vredestien NL Technical. :eek:

Anyhoo, the instant I put the F1's on, normal hooning was resumed. +++

I was surprised you didn't like the verds Mooch, I read your thread on srs. I loved my verds, but didn't go for them again as I was curious to how good F1s were seeing as you prefer them, couldn't get them so put Michelin PS2s on, haven't driven the car hard yet but will report what they are like. Mine are 285 30 20 x4 btw!