Audi paint keeps scratching

thenamesross

Ive heard a lot of people say that Audi paint is hard as nail but it seems everytime I wash my S8 I end up with more fine scratches. I use a wool mitt and 2 buckets and its doing my head in.

Interestingly it doesnt happen with the wife A4 - or maybe I just cant see it the same, the S8 is black and the A4 is silver.

Anyone had the prob before?

Im hoping that a good polish will help matters

Hello

Yes its hard, but prone to scratching none the less. You can acutally press the paintwork on soft cars and leave a finger print on hot days.

The Audi paintwork isnt the scratch resistant type that you can find on some the premium brands. The hard paintwork just means maintence is harder going!

Polish up and take alot of care when washing. You will find alot of scratches come from the wash stage. Have you got a foam gun a foaming soape or foam product?

Geoff

Im pretty new to the concept of properly cleaning your motor so at the mo I just have 2 buckets and a lambs wool mitt (plus clay, polish & wax which Ive yet to get round to trying!).

I started off with a sponge when I bought the car but that left loads of scrathes. Then I tried the washmitts from costco which was a wee bit better. The lambs wool seems better than both but still leaves those fine scratches. Its like Im just rubbing the grit into the car rather than washing it off.

Dont have any foamy stuff, will that help? Ive been using autoglym car shampoo which doesnt have much suds - would that be a factor?

Hello

The foam will soften the dirt and then you can wash it off. Its better then pushing it around with the mitt. The AG shampoo isnt really at that bad, it leaves the car looking nice and rinses easily. Foam isnt important in car shampoo, most European shampoos offer little foam. Its mainly cleaning and lubrication that count.

When you wax the car you will find it easy to clean, as the dirt will not cling and more importantly bond to the paintwork so bad!

Geoff