The new VW Scirocco....

RedRobin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might have just found the replacement for my GTI, notworthy.gif

It's out in September which is great as my GTI is 3 years old next March and I want to change before that!

Could do with a power hike though - why not at least give it the ED30 power level?

A super quick diesel would seal it for me I think 169144-ok.gif

Presenter is patronising as heck, crikey!

[ QUOTE ]

Read somewhere this week that there will be an S3 type power level version available with Haldex and that there will also be an "R" version later. Maybe the 3.6 litre from the Passat?

[/ QUOTE ]

....This has been written in several parts of the motoring press and on the internet, but it can only be speculation. However, I hope the speculation is right - The 2.0T FSI is a great engine for it but the new Scirocco is gagging for options delivering more power!

If only VW read our TSN discussions!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Read somewhere this week that there will be an S3 type power level version available with Haldex and that there will also be an "R" version later. Maybe the 3.6 litre from the Passat?

[/ QUOTE ]

....This has been written in several parts of the motoring press and on the internet, but it can only be speculation. However, I hope the speculation is right - The 2.0T FSI is a great engine for it but the new Scirocco is gagging for options delivering more power!

If only VW read our TSN discussions!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there seriously a car firm out there that would sit and look at this stuff?

Sure market research is all well and good but that isnt the point because they seem to have a knack of finding the wrong people to take part.

I think it would be really nice for there to be somewhere the everyday person can talk to the heads of VW, BMW, audi, etc and actually have the perfect car instead of pulling out a new sort of halfway, nearly there car every 2 years.

If Evo are not talking B****** . . .

When the Scirocco first arrives in the UK in September just one version will be offered: the 2.0 TSI, fitted with the 197bhp turbo 2-litre engine familiar from the Golf GTI. Competitively priced at £20,500, it will come with a six-speed manual transmission as standard, but a twin-clutch DSG ’box will be available as an option, costing around £1300 extra.

Before the end of the year, 138bhp and 168bhp 1.4 TSI versions will join the range, priced at around £18,000 and £19,000 respectively.

Full story here http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/218205/geneva_vw_scirocco.html

p.s. I want one

To help you all visualise size:

Scirocco:

Length is 4256mm

Height is 1400mm

Width is 1810mm (at wheel arches)

TT:

Length is 4178mm

Height is 1352mm

Width is 1852mm (at wheel arches)

Affordability comes too with the engine options. A common rail 140PS diesel, along with a 122, 160 and 200PS petrol engines should ensure appropriate levels of performance, economy and CO2 output in relation to road tax. Every engine features a charger of some kind to maximise power and minimise fuel. A six speed manual gearbox is standard with the option of the first transverse mounted seven speed DSG

AMS have leaked the specs too...

Petrol engines:

1.4 TSI 122bhp 200nm 0-62 9.7 secs 46mpg

1.8 TSi 160bhp 240nm 0-62 8.0 secs 43mpg

2.0 TSI 200bhp 280nm 0-62 7.2 secs 36mpg

Diesel engine:

2.0 TDI 140bhp 320nm 0-62 9.3 secs 52mpg

Dimensions:

L 2.60m W 1.81m H 1.40m

Options:

7 speed DSG

Glass roof

Adaptive Suspension

Some snippets of info gathered from uk-mkivs forum.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely they won't stick to just one engine, ie 2.0 TFSI, so there must be choices in the pipeline grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon it'll go like this in terms of what the introduce:

2.0 TFSI (200PS)

1.4 TSI (170PS)

2.0 TDI (170PS)

2.0 TFSI (265PS - i.e. S3 engine)

Having disliked it to start with, I'd now be quite happy with a 2.0 TFSI in electric blue, with black interior and 19" BBS CH alloys, plus a full Milltek with cats and a remap up to around 260bhp - it's aMk5 GTI engine underneath, after all 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I do hope they consider a quality oil burner alternative.

Something up from the BMW 205 bhp 2.0d unit, has VW got anything new engine, wise due soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

The new common rail 2.0 are out in the VWs soon in 140 and 170bhp format. Audi also has a twin turbo common rain 2.0 with 203bhp fully delevoped that may come out soon but as it was developed by audi it will be out in there cars first before it makes it into the VWs.

The twin charging option would seem obvious really as VW are pioneering the "Less is more" option when it comes to powerplants. I remember reading about the "Iroc" when it was first showcased and the heads of VW stated then that the 1.4ltr "TC" engine would end up being the biggest seller.

Part of the reason for that IMO is that as much as I love it and will deffinately have one, it could well end up a posers car more than an enthusiasts car to be looked at more than driver hard. I think VW can see that coming and will major on small cc's for the "Tamara & Sophie" market. But then I could be talking complete Bolx. grin.gif

I agree re the 1.4 TSI being a probably engine of choice, but I reckon it will be far outsold by the 2.0 TFSI (Golf GTI engine).

If VW focused on building a 2.0 TSI that output 250 bhp, then I think they would pull a lot of people out of 3.2 Golfs.

I reckon the Scirocco will be a second car for most families (VWs target market), rather than a main one.

I guess it'll sit nicely on the drive next to a 2.0TDI Passat estate coffee.gif

• 6 months later...