318 top end rattling

Tarmac_Terrorist

Went for a gentle run today and started to hear a ticking noise whilst cruising at low revs in 6th. Pulled over for a better listen and it sounded like it was low on oil. I knew it wasn't as I'm a bit anal about such routine checks / maintenance. Decided to drive it home thinking it was possibly a timing chain tensioner (at least I think they have a chain on these)or possibly a cam going. When I got home I called BMW assistance. 4 hours later the guy turned up and confirmed that he thought it is a starvation of oil to the top end. It has been arranged for me to drive the car gently 2 miles to my local BMW service centre and pick up a hire car from there.

Has anyone else heard of such problems woth this engine?

I don't know much about BMWs and nothing at all about the engines, but I know there's generally problems with low mileage cars on long life servicing, but you don't really fit into that category and it's not that old either, so it sounds like a sporadic problem. Best of luck getting it sorted 169144-ok.gif

OK, BMW have thrown a few spanners at it and advised the service desk that they have found a broken 'Intermediate cam shaft valve spring'. A new one is on order and should arrive tomorrow.

I am trying to picture exactly where this spring resides. The service desk were unsure exactly what this spring is and could only confirm the spanner man's comments on the job sheet. Is it just a valve spring? confused.gif

Anyway, in the meantime they have provided me with a Chevy 4x4 diesel automatic agricultural thingy to drive. UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Car back and sorted - seems fine so far. I was surprised that they didn't even change the oil - considering the cams came out aparently etc. Didn't wash it either.

Jobs done swiftly but perhaps my expectations of BMW were too high?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did this work?, I am suprised the Oil & Filter were NOT changed. shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Car back and sorted - seems fine so far. I was surprised that they didn't even change the oil - considering the cams came out aparently etc. Didn't wash it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did this work?, I am suprised the Oil & Filter were NOT changed. shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Golfer. I was very surprised too. When I asked if they had changed the oil it was dismissed and they said that any bits of the broken spring would have been blown out of the exhaust!? It was done by Tony Purslows in Basingstoke. They just operate a BMW / Mini service centre - they are not a dealership where they sell BMW cars. They are actually a Merc dealer with this service centre on the side. Bit of a strange arrangement. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Golfer. I was very surprised too. When I asked if they had changed the oil it was dismissed and they said that any bits of the broken spring would have been blown out of the exhaust!? It was done by Tony Purslows in Basingstoke. They just operate a BMW / Mini service centre - they are not a dealership where they sell BMW cars. They are actually a Merc dealer with this service centre on the side. Bit of a strange arrangement. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TT I would run a mile if they said that to me,"blown out the Exaust" UHOH7.GIF FFS are they mad. smashfreakB.gif

Any small particles will be carried through the oil , not down past the Valve seals unless they are totally shot, who knows where the oil will deposite it.

I totally agree! However, it's a company car so I really can't be bothered to argue about it - as long as the radio / CD continues to work. I would have refused to have collected it if it was my own car and might have considered paying for a professional inspection whilst the engine was stripped down to identify any damage.

I think gone are the days when BMW mechanics were only allowed to use ring spanners and were worthy of the title 'mechanic'!

[ QUOTE ]

I totally agree! However, it's a company car so I really can't be bothered to argue about it - as long as the radio / CD continues to work. I would have refused to have collected it if it was my own car and might have considered paying for a professional inspection whilst the engine was stripped down to identify any damage.

I think gone are the days when BMW mechanics were only allowed to use ring spanners and were worthy of the title 'mechanic'!

[/ QUOTE ]

Company Car; No problem then. 169144-ok.gif