New Car at the Weekend

Hants_Cruiser_UK

After 8 patient weeks, I finally took delivery of my new Renault Megane 1.9dCi Privilege. smile.gif

I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the ride and build quality of the car and can not help thinking that if my Cab felt as solid as the Megane I wouldn’t have sold it, but IMHO things happens for a reason and I feel this car far better suits me and my driving style. SMOKE6.GIF

Lots of toys to play with and the ‘Hands Free’ Renault Card is truly fantastic. I am amazed at how quickly I got used to not having to ‘blip’ the car to open it and not having to put a key in the ignition. Just walk up to the car, put your hand through the handle and ‘presto’ its open – jump in and press the ‘start’ button and I’m away.

Full spec is too long to list, but the main things are: part leather, hands free entry, electric windows all round, electrically operated/head/folding mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, automatic headlamps, rain sensing wipers, 6CD autochanger + single CD, remote radio/cd controls etc etc etc ….

Now I just have to do 900 miles, so I can exploit the torque of the engine more – keeping to below 2500rpm is really frustrating, but as 6th gear is so high it means I can go over 85mph and still be below that limit.

Suppose I had better get on with some work now. grin.gif

PS I love the styling notworthy.gif

Congrats HC! beerchug.gif

You know I like them, so I think I know what you mean... cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Lots of toys to play with and the ‘Hands Free’ Renault Card is truly fantastic. I am amazed at how quickly I got used to not having to ‘blip’ the car to open it and not having to put a key in the ignition. Just walk up to the car, put your hand through the handle and ‘presto’ its open – jump in and press the ‘start’ button and I’m away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suddenly feel quite silly for pressing the buttons on the card thingy when I had the rental car... smashfreakB.gif

Or is this a "premium" thing, cause I also had to insert the card before I could start...? It's cool though. And I liked all the storage spaces all over the car! Ideal! beerchug.gif

I've been thinking about this keyless auto unlocking thing.

So do I understand that if you've got the card in your pocket, as you approach the vehicle the doors unlock, and as you walk away they lock again?

Just wondered cos I'm one of these terrible complusive door handle rattlers, you know, lock the front door, try the handle about 10 times "just to check", lock the car, rattle the handle "just to check".

So presumably with this auto locking system whilst I was by the car it'd be unlocked and not lock till I walked away and if I came back to try the handle it'd just unlock anyway.

So I'd spend my day racked with concern over whether the car was locked or not! smashfreakB.gif

Incidently, this is more a criticism of my neurosis than the actual car I might add! ROLLEY~14.GIF

You do have a point there Ari, I wondered about that one too...

I know the new A8 has a rubber patch on the doorhandle you need to touch before it actually opens. Not sure about other cars though... Would be weird if it opens every time you walk by (could be confusing when you walk up and down a shopping street) grin.gif

And I'd like some confirmation as well when it closes.

[ QUOTE ]

I know the new A8 has a rubber patch on the doorhandle you need to touch before it actually opens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, that's the other way round mate - it unlocks automatically when you go for the handle (sensor under handle) and you press the button to lock it when you get out. Once you've pressed the button, it locks and ignores the remote until it goes out of range, then it will reopen if you get back in range again.

Scary thing is, if the engine is started (with the key nearby) it's possible to drive off and leave the key behind and it son't care until you turn it off and then it won't start again. It would be real easy to drop your keys getting in to the car and then drive off and lose them...

Oops... blush.gif Seems I was misinformed in Essen then... smashfreakB.gif

But yeah, that's a bit scary. And I think I can live with pressing a remote just fine... Love the Audi keys anyway. beerchug.gif

Hell, I remember the time when one actually had to stick a key in a door lock and turn it in order to open it... grin.gif Most European cars had roll down windows as well in those days, sheer slave labour! yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I suddenly feel quite silly for pressing the buttons on the card thingy when I had the rental car...

Or is this a "premium" thing, cause I also had to insert the card before I could start...? It's cool though. And I liked all the storage spaces all over the car! Ideal!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an option on lesser spec cars, but standard on my top of the range "Privilege" spec smile.gif

As for the locking as long as the key is on your person, when you walk up to the car behind each door handle is a sensor and when you put your hand through to open the door it detects you and unlocks the car.

The key can be anywhere in the passenger/luggage compartment to be active and when you leave the car simply press anyone of the buttons on the door handles or even the boot has a button too smile.gif

Which ever method chosen you still get the normal flasing of indicators.

Very clever stuff, but I have taken to it really quickly cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It's an option on lesser spec cars, but standard on my top of the range "Privilege" spec smile.gif

As for the locking as long as the key is on your person, when you walk up to the car behind each door handle is a sensor and when you put your hand through to open the door it detects you and unlocks the car.

The key can be anywhere in the passenger/luggage compartment to be active and when you leave the car simply press anyone of the buttons on the door handles or even the boot has a button too smile.gif

Which ever method chosen you still get the normal flasing of indicators.

Very clever stuff, but I have taken to it really quickly cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew, that's a relief... grin.gif

Usually I'm pretty quick to find out all the goodies, so I wondered how I could have missed this one... It was not on it! smashfreakB.gif

Sounds very neat! Looking forward to the pics! beerchug.gif

I have the hands-free entry feature on my A3. Although I dont use it much anymore, it is pretty useful. It uses a two-way pager alarm which I keep seperate from my keys, the car will open open/close whenever the pager is within a 8ft radius of it and will page you the status wihin 3 seconds. I only really used it when making quick stops, allows you to leave the key in the ignition when leaving the car. Its also a device which would prevnt car-jacking, just get out of the car and walk away. ha.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Scary thing is, if the engine is started (with the key nearby) it's possible to drive off and leave the key behind and it son't care until you turn it off and then it won't start again. It would be real easy to drop your keys getting in to the car and then drive off and lose them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see that happening if the car was on the drive say, and the key was in your coat pocket hanging up in the hall, but in range of the car. You jump in, drive off, park somewhere, lock it up, then when you come back no key! EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see that happening if the car was on the drive say, and the key was in your coat pocket hanging up in the hall, but in range of the car. You jump in, drive off, park somewhere, lock it up, then when you come back no key! EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered about that too, what if I left the key by the car and then drove off - would it just stop or carry on or maybe I just wouldn't be able to lock it?

Don't think I will try just to find out UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered about that too, what if I left the key by the car and then drove off - would it just stop or carry on or maybe I just wouldn't be able to lock it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Found the answer whilst reading through my handbook.

If you happen to drop the key by the car and drive off and leave it behind, all functions OK until you go to turn off.

After pressing the start/stop button a message comes up in the display saying "Renault Card Not Present" and then asks again if you are sure you wish to turn off. Once tunred off the car can not be restarted until the key is again present in the detection zone.

I suppose it gives the option of turning back to get the key or phoning someone to bring out the spare key, either way you are not left stranded and locked out off the car.

I think that way of working is pretty good smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Found the answer whilst reading through my handbook.

If you happen to drop the key by the car and drive off and leave it behind, all functions OK until you go to turn off.

After pressing the start/stop button a message comes up in the display saying "Renault Card Not Present" and then asks again if you are sure you wish to turn off. Once tunred off the car can not be restarted until the key is again present in the detection zone.

I suppose it gives the option of turning back to get the key or phoning someone to bring out the spare key, either way you are not left stranded and locked out off the car.

I think that way of working is pretty good smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a very sensible solution. Last thing you need is to be miles from anywhere on a cold rainy night, stop for a pee and then discover you've lost the card and the car won't restart! smashfreakB.gif