DA to remove wet sanding marks

MajorH

I've just finished watching the Meguiars wet sanding vids on U tube, where he gives a demo panel around 8-10 passes with 2000 grit, does half the patch with compound 85? on a woolen rotary pad, then switches to 80 on a soft finishing pad. Then goes on to say that you wont be able to take out the sanding marks with a DA (albeit a G100 in this vid) true or BS ? or is it that Meguiars polishes/compounds are primarily developed for rotary use ? confused.gif

Hello Major H,

The Megs polishes like 83, the new one 85? Even 80 were all designed for rotaty use! They are donkies yrs old (except the new one).

Just like the Menzerna range all were designed to give effective fast results using the rotary.

They all require more time then they do with the rotary, hence (at least in my yrs of exp.) you see how long Menz stays at full cut before it breaks down on a DA.

80 + 83 are great products, the later has a learning curve and will work fine with the DA. However if you had a rotary and DA on hand to remove the grit marks and even a really marred up finish i know what i would opt for.

Personally i have always choosen to move away from those products in favour of Optimum Polish, Compound and HyperCompound. I have also used the SSR line.

Some of it is about choosing the right pads and products, but i wouldent feel that 2000 grit was above DA correction.

Geoff

Cheers Gents,

I guessed there may have been the scent of BS in the presentation. Infact before I go messing up a stonechip repair on my Golf, considering the purchase of 500 euro Alfa 33 with matt black paint to act as mobile practice panels. The only polishes I have are the Menz ones that came with the G220 and some Megs 80.

[ QUOTE ]

Infact before I go messing up a stonechip repair on my Golf

[/ QUOTE ]

It was doing precisely that when I did some wet sanding. tbh the results were not that spectacular. Using a selection of fine brushes to carefully fill the clip is alot easier and looks the same imo.

NeilB's solvent method works well as an alternative to wet sanding if the chip is over filled and is what I used for some repairs.

here