1 week into my new 6 Series......

AH101

On Monday I took delivery of my new toy, namely a BMW 635d Sport Convertible cool.gif

I ordered in November so the wait was a nightmare. Specification....

- Black with Black Roof & Beige Leather

- Climate Comfort Glass

- Wind Deflector

- Auto Dimming Interior & Exterior Mirrors

- Extended Interior Light Pack

- Navigation System Professional

- Bluetooth Phone Prep & Telematics

- USB/Audio Interface

- HIFI System LOGIC7

- Active Cruise Control + Stop&Go Function

Having owned a 645 Coupe about 2 or 3 years ago (20k miles), I had forgotten just how good the 6 Series is!!!

Comments so far....

The USB/Audio interface is awesome - name tags are shown, selection by artist/album is great, quality is brilliant (my sampling rate is very high)(I purchased an 8GB USB stick for about 25 pounds) - I'm gald I didn't bother with the 6 CD Changer

Engine is great - I had this engine in a 5 series and it is just brilliant. About 36 mpg at the moment, very very fast and doesn't sound too much like a diesel.

Active Cruise Control - I had a similar system in my last Merc SL (Distronic) albeit BMW's is better because it continues to operate below 30mph - very good system for people who spend a lot of time on motorways

Changes underway....

I have ordered a boot liner from BMW (US) - BMW (UK) don't offer a boot liner for the convertible crazy.gif

Just bought some software which allows you to add speed cameras to BMW's navigation DVD's (how good is that!) - so far so good, I'll let you know how this goes.

[ QUOTE ]

Just bought some software which allows you to add speed cameras to BMW's navigation DVD's (how good is that!) - so far so good, I'll let you know how this goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance of some more detail on that? Sounds interesting! coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Does yours actually "Stop/Start" mine does not ( October 2007 57 plate)

[/ QUOTE ]

The radar cruise control will bring the car to a stationary position and then re-accelerate relative to the vehicle in front and your settings.

No my car doesn't stop/start the engine when stationary as per the current 1 series

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem - I had been looking for this capability for some time. I found a technical forum which had worked out how to add POI to the BMW system albeit, you needed to be a technical wizard to actually complete the process.

I then discovered www.pimp-my-nav.com which virtually automates the whole process. Cost for the software is 39.99 USD plus 29.95 USD for UltraISO plus access to an upto date Speed Camera Database (www.pocketgpsworld.com is very good at 19 UKP per annum).

I'm at the very early stages of getting this working so I'll let you know how it goes.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem - I had been looking for this capability for some time. I found a technical forum which had worked out how to add POI to the BMW system albeit, you needed to be a technical wizard to actually complete the process.

I then discovered www.pimp-my-nav.com which virtually automates the whole process. Cost for the software is 39.99 USD plus 29.95 USD for UltraISO plus access to an upto date Speed Camera Database (www.pocketgpsworld.com is very good at 19 UKP per annum).

I'm at the very early stages of getting this working so I'll let you know how it goes.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Got this working in my 3 Coupe. I did it the lazy way and just downloaded an ISO already done. It's good, but you cant have more than one POI on the screen at a time, so if you are navigating to say a hotel - the camera's wont be there. They also dont tell you the limit, neither is there warning of course..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got this working in my 3 Coupe. I did it the lazy way and just downloaded an ISO already done. It's good, but you cant have more than one POI on the screen at a time, so if you are navigating to say a hotel - the camera's wont be there. They also dont tell you the limit, neither is there warning of course..

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I now have this working - agreed, you can only have one POI showing at any one time and no verbal warning.

You can have the speed showing (as an icon) if you chose this when setting up your own ISO.

Not perfect (limitation of BMW's SatNav) but still worth it - when I'm not using SatNav guidance, I have the left hand side of the screen for the entertainment system and the right hand side showing the map including speed cameras.

I was hoping this would replace my Sapphire system, not good enough to do this but still good either way and I can cut a new upto date DVD every week.