Manual 330D - Avoid?

Ben

Looking at manual 330D M Sports today, current shape cars. The two I'm talking about are a good couple of grand cheaper than the equivelent Autos.

We're talking just over £20k for a loaded 55 plate saloon, done 47k, 1 owner from the main dealers.

I'd prefer an auto, but doesn't make much difference with the residuals so I can't stomach paying £2k more for the priviledge.

They also have an identical spec'd touring with 10k less miles, but will be £2.5k more.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Ben

I wouldnt avoid either - I guess the auto might have a slightly bigger market. If they did a 335d in manual I'd have it over an auto! Buy on condifiton and spec - I'd take the manual if it is 2k cheaper - just expect the same gap come sale time I guess.

[ QUOTE ]

Looking at manual 330D M Sports today, current shape cars. The two I'm talking about are a good couple of grand cheaper than the equivelent Autos.

We're talking just over £20k for a loaded 55 plate saloon, done 47k, 1 owner from the main dealers.

I'd prefer an auto, but doesn't make much difference with the residuals so I can't stomach paying £2k more for the priviledge.

They also have an identical spec'd touring with 10k less miles, but will be £2.5k more.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ben,

Like for like there is a £1,350 difference between the two on that age of car.

Plus the manual will always be more difficult to sell with the 3.0 engine, and as a result, cheaper.

The manual gearbox does suit the engine but the market (about 90% of it) just wants/likes auto for the three litre BMW's.

Cheers,

Gareth

Thanks Gareth, Auto is the way forwards but the extra doesn't justify it for me- I can get a 330 for the price of a 320D Auto - plus the manual will give better MPG hopefully (not than a 320!).

Brother is going to look today/tomorrow for me 169144-ok.gif

Gareth is right. I sold a manual 550i (I know the petrol thing that goes in it didn't help) last autumn and it was being like a leper when I phoned up the used car buyers. Price guides these days seem to under estimate the premium punters will pay for auto IMHO.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Gareth, Auto is the way forwards but the extra doesn't justify it for me- I can get a 330 for the price of a 320D Auto - plus the manual will give better MPG hopefully (not than a 320!).

Brother is going to look today/tomorrow for me 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful Ben. In real cost terms the manual is likely to cost more as the market to re-sell back in to is so small.

I know a guy from another forum who couldn't sell his 330d M Sport manual saloon until he priced it £4.5k less than an auto....

• 1 month later...

I'd try and find a similar car (pref and auto) privately* or from a reputable independent as BMW dealers often have much bigger margins to pay for those £7M showrooms! Look around and plot the prices to compare. Unless of course the BMW dealer is having a sale or clearance, I dare say many are stocked up and paying plenty of interest right now. *You can always have an AA/RAC inspection to go with the balance of manufacturers warranty. Happy hunting.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had 6 different 330d Sports since 2000 and they've all been manuals. I've had an E90 330d M Sport and it was fabulous. Only sold it to move house.....

Anyway, back on topic. I tried the auto 330d and really didn't like it. Dimwitted is the word I'd use. The ZF 'box is good as far as auto boxes go, but not good enough to be "better" than a manual for the enthusiastic driver. ;)

That, coupled to the fact that the auto is 4-5mpg thirstier than the manual, it made the manual a no brainer.

I'd take a manual 330d over an auto every time. The cost of the auto box would be better spent on xenons and uprated hi-fi. :)

Matt