RNS 510/ MFD3 Help Please!!!

swale

Hi I have just recently brought a 2008/08 reg MKV Golf GTI ED30 wich is a basic car with manual gearbox (already speced not a factory order) which does not have sat nav had a great deal on the car so tempted me away from others with nav plus it was an ed30, i'm very used to sat nav and i'm thinking i'd relly miss having factory nav and having to o through the agro of getting a portable, so i'm considering fitting an rns 510 mfd3 or possibly mfd2 nav system in my car as an after fit, have seen a few guides and am fairly confident with getting the old stereo out however i have a few questions before i make the big plunge.

1) will both and mfd3 (rns 510) and the mfd2 realy be a straight swap with my old stereo unit and just routing the gps antennae to the dashboard, any cutting/soldering etc (if any are there any guides???)

2) whats the opinion on the mfd3 system have had the mfd2 before in an 07 golf found it not to be to use, how much better is the mfd3???

3)Are there any guides out there soley for butting in the rns 510 in a golf???

4) seems most of the rns 510 units are around the 1k price will i lose much in resale in say 1 year by dumping 1k on the nav or should a buy mfd2 for around half the price again? (just thought as this is an 08 car it should have the 2008 rns 510 nav, should it???

5) the units both come with the nav software a gps antennae and radio key codes is there anything else not mentioned that i will require, and is it tru you need some kind of ariel splitter for rns 510, have heard its not necceassary, but is it? if so what is the uk vw part number for the splitter or where can i pick one up?

sorry for all the question, really need to be sure as there just so expensive.

Thanks in advance

swale

Regards

swale

Hi Swale i am in the same boat and i will try to answer some of your questions

1. Both the units are a straight swap plug and play, the only tricky bit is the position of the gps antenna ( best place is under the clocks behind the steering wheel)

2.MFD3 is faster and has a birds eye view. It doesnt need the dvd in place for routing so you can plays cds as well. it also has an sd card slot ( for music photos etc) and an aux in for mp3 player.

3 There is a guide on ukmkvis.net, search the installation guides. its for the mfd2 but is the same.

4. shouldnt make any difference to the price, nav is nav to most customers ( an enthuisiast may beg to differ but we are a minority)but yes all 08 golfs have rns 510

6. as far as i am aware nothing else is required

good luck , my guess is the rns 510 will drop to around £700 over the summer beerchug.gif

thanks for your reply have decided o go with the mfd2 unit just seems so much better value, i guess they technicaly do the same job and wont hurt so much at resale time.

is there any info on installing an ipod intergration or cd changer kit how much does it cost here in uk???

The RNS 510 is hard drive based giving about 18Gb or so usable space for storing MP3's on - that alone makes it better than the MFD2 in my opinion.

The antenna splitter may or may not be necessary - I needed to use one in my MY08 .:R32. Basically the 2 antenna connectors on the back of the 510 are closer together than on the MFD2 (or RCD500 or whatever) so to get both antenna connectors onto the 510 you need to either use the adapter cable which is basically 2 short flying leads (about 3" long from memory) with a plastic housing at one end. The original antenna from the loom plugs into the plastic housing and then you connect the flying leads to the back of the 510. If you find that you have no AM reception, swap the flying leads around.

Installation is really easy, it took me about 25 minutes but now that I know how to take the dash apart to get the unit out I could do it in about 10 minutes.

My GPS receiver was installed in a recess under the skuttle panel which is accessed once you take the top centre air vent out.

Hi all had a second thought and took the plunge and changed to the rns 510/mfd3 unit, just to confirm all i have to do is just unplug the old unit (rcd500), route the gps antenna (does this have to have clear view to the sky) and plug in the FM ariel wire (second wire isn't needed, am i correct,)

thanks for all replys

swale

The GPS antenna doesn't have to have a clear view but the clearer the view the better the signal it will get. I put my receiver in a recess behind the top air vent and usually have 7 satellites showing.

I think you can get away with only connecting one of the FM/AM antenna cables but you have to have the correct cable attached to the correct port on the back of the unit or you'll have no AM reception. I connected both cables but got them the wrong way around at first so had to take the unit out again and swap them around.

The lack of MFSW or highline isn't a problem. The highline comes into its own when you have OEM Sat Nav because you can have the directions shown on the highline but it isn't a problem if you have midline.

• 5 months later...

The lack of MFSW or highline isn't a problem. The highline comes into its own when you have OEM Sat Nav because you can have the directions shown on the highline but it isn't a problem if you have midline.

If the car is originally specced with OEM satnav, does highline come as standard then?