ESP dis-engaged

Smudge

Driving into London today, M25 to M4 sliproad & cruising nicely. I look down to check my speedo as I'm getting onto the M4 & my ESP light is on (IE I'm supposed to have turned it off?? confused.gif).

Well I didn't touch the buton, and I'm riding solo. So I push my ESP button but this does nothing. Hmm. Next option is to come off a jct early (I always catch the lights here). So, stop at lights, handbrake on, engine off. Start her up again & the ESP lights now cleared.

Weird!

If I remember correctly S4Dreamer experienced the same with his car on the drive home?? Well it didn't do it again today, and I didn't notice any difference in the cars handling, but then I'm not really giving her much yet. My worry is, I previously had the joy of having a Vectra as a Co. Car & I had a warning light linked to traction control. Vauxhall took the car in as they claimed traction control, anti-lock brakes & the airbag are all connected, and herefore a fault can be little scary. EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF

Anyone got any simlar experiences or know of the links between the cars "senses"??

Cheers

Al.

beerchug.gif

PS - I can't help but feel I'm looking for problems. HELP!!!!

smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

I'm not worrying about it tOo much. She's running really nicely at the mo. Still wrapped in cotton wool! Got a tiny stone chip on the bonnet already mad.gif & some feckin gritter trashed me at some traffic lights tonight!!!!!

I was sat waiting on red whilst he went past on my left in a filter lane. Car in front, car behind. I was freaking out!!!!! Can't move, can't move arrrrrgggghh!!!!

Sounded horrendous but I couldn't see any additional chips.

FECKIN' GRITTERS!!!!!!!!! rocketwhore.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This has happened to me, but only once in 2K miles. EPC(?) flashed on and then the ESP light stayed on until I restarted the engine. As it has only happened once I have put it down as just a glitch. I think S4dreamer saw this happen on his way home from the stealer with his new car

[/ QUOTE ] this so called glitch has happened to me too, a couple of times tho. infact so far the dealer has replaced my maf sensor to no avail and the car is there now for the full week to see if they can trace it. FIREdevil.gif. it may be just a glitch but i did not buy a £25000 car to have glitches so the fekr.gifs can sort it.

[ QUOTE ]

this so called glitch has happened to me too, a couple of times tho. infact so far the dealer has replaced my maf sensor to no avail and the car is there now for the full week to see if they can trace it. FIREdevil.gif. it may be just a glitch but i did not buy a £25000 car to have glitches so the fekr.gifs can sort it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? How is replacing the MAF sensor going to fix the ESP?? The dealer is either a twat or pulling your chain smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

WTF? How is replacing the MAF sensor going to fix the ESP?? The dealer is either a twat or pulling your chain smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ] no honestly that is what the vag com computer came up with the fault as on my car the first time, but this time its come up with no communication fault whatever that means. fekr.gif

[ QUOTE ]

WTF? How is replacing the MAF sensor going to fix the ESP?? The dealer is either a twat or pulling your chain

[/ QUOTE ]

No the ESP light coming on and staying on is actually a warning to you that 'something' has a problem and not necessarily ascoaciated with the ESP.

BAsically if it comes on and stays on you should have the car checked at a dealer - replacing the MAF is common place because VW use such [email protected] parts and I have had loads fail on different VWs in the past.

[ QUOTE ]

Al - sounds like you've got yourself another lemon mate.....I'd get them to change it.

fuck_scott.gif

jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You Vooodoo fecker!!!!! rocketwhore.gif

You put a curse on me?? I'm gonna nick your Milltek tomorow night & sell it to Wopps. FIREdevil.gif

My Air Mass Meter is fecked!!!!!! mad.gif

Less than 500 miles on the clock. mad.gif

I going to buy a Mondeo. frown.gif

smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My Air Mass Meter is fecked!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ] fecking ell... that was quick... seems to me like its going to take awhile for VW to get a revised version if it ends up like the Audi Coilpack issue!

What are the symptoms of a MAF sensor failure on a N/A engine as on a turbo-charged engine the turbo has a loss for air boost its very noticeble.

Riz beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Al

Think you're getting a bit paranoid here after the Lemon (understandable) - calm down!

It will probably sort itself out.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he's not Soulboy - a dealership have just confirmed that it may need replaced.... yelrotflmao.gif

That's karma for giving me sh*t Al..... wink.gif

As for selling my Miltek - you'd have to wait a few weeks till Wopps saves up his pocket money..... tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Al

Think you're getting a bit too angry here - calm down!

You'll make yourself ill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Soulboy. I'm calm at the mo to be honest. But there's a slight vibration from those alarm bells!!

They said the AMM is running a bit high (about 25% above ave) whatever that means!!?? Anyone any ideas?

I'm just waiting for a call back from Ridgeways Senior Tech to see what they want to do.

Fingers crossed, 'cos she's running fine (in comparision at lemon!).

Will keep you posted.

beerchug.gif

OK this is all S3 biased so forgive me. The basic componentry in question is the same though. The MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) is a charged platiunum wire that sits in your induction tube. This is the bit where I pull back and science kicks in but basically it works out how much air is passing over it because either its temperature or charge varies or both. Science out of the way – its important. This is where your whole mixture gets determined from so its critical to most VAG engines. It is of course reassuring to see that VAG fit such reliable parts in this critical function. Using a Vag-Com (I cant remember the block #) you can ‘read’ the MAF. Typically on the 1.8T engines problems arose because the MAF reading was too low, leading to a drop in performance as less air=less fuel in the bible according to MAF.

Its ironic therefore – if your MAF is reading high then you should get more fuel in there and either mental performance or it really not seeming quite right. Maybe there were failsafes in place. Quite what the link between MAF and ESP light is I still don’t understand but from what I gather this light is often used to determine MAF problems. It’s a completely non-serviceable part (apart from cleaning – which a dealer won’t do), its also model and engine specific apparently, which helps Audi keep the price for an S3 MAF at around £210.

I too had an ESP light stay on on my S3. The first thing to remember is that if this light won’t go out – you DO NOT have ESP until it does go out. One to bear in mind now that outside temp is hovering above zero wink.gif

Mine turned out to be a ‘failed’ Haldex ECU and ESP Lateral Acceleration Sensor which came in at around £1,600….it was really obvious I had a problem though as I was suddenly introduced to wheelspin, torquesteer, and uber nervous handling!

All for a pesky light! rocketwhore.gif

Cheers Inigo

Makes a little more sense now, though was kinda what I understood it to be. VW explained to me that the ESP light would come on if any fault is logged on the ECU. Also, VW refer to the MAF as AMM (Air mass meter) though it's gotta be the same thing??

My MAF Reading has come out at 4.5 g/s (whatever? crazy.gif) and they said it should be around 3.2 -3.5 g/s. Strange thing is the engine feels lovely and smooth at the mo. So don't know what effect it is having, if any. My paranoia is that it's going to damage the engine in some way & that I'll be back to square one, & I really don't want to go back there again!!

C U 2moro?

Al

beerchug.gif

I made it all up wink.gif

Strange cos when we used to log my MAF readings on the S3 it was giving around 150-200 under a decent load. I was sure that was g/s too...mind yoo 200g of AIR per second is a lot of AIR! Maybe its that much more powerful wink.gif! hahaha

Or would that be the incredible effect of the Turbo of Might? shocked.gif

Should be there tomorrow cool.gif