Key cutting

kbaumg

Bought a brand new key blank on eBay for my 1997 A8. Definitely a nice key, for $8. No chip in key, fine. Took it to the dealer in Northern VA. Said they don't cut any keys there, they have to get cut from Germany. I don't believe this to be true.

Does anyone on this forum know of locksmiths that can laser cut an Audi key? Surely someone other than Audi themselves can cut their keys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I'm having the same problem in England.

Does anyone know if flip-key blades can be obtained and cut without visiting the dealers (something I try to avoid as much as possible) ?

Then I shall have fun with the reprogramming ritual mentioned in another thread. Does this reprogram both the remote locking and the transponder?

Thanks again......great site.

Barry.

Hi there!

No idea about the locksmith, but maybe one will wake up and discover a goldmine eh? grin.gif

About the programming, that's only the key IMO (if we're talking about the same thread). I'm afraid you'll need a dealer or a mate wih Vag Com to re-program the car. (If thay's neccesary?)

Good luck with the hunt, and do let us know if you find anything okay? wink.gif

i have a non-flip key, and a while ago tried to get it copied by a person with registered keysmith, they cut a new key, and copied the code on the key, and when i put it in the car door, the key worked fine, but i could never get the ignition barrel to turn with the new key, even after a couple of attempts at copying the key, so my advise is go to a VAG group dealer (skoda/seat) and get the key there, it shopuld be cheaper.