1988 BMW 325i Touring.

gizze

Well I bought this as I needed a second car, it came up locally and it had loads of history and a folder full of receipts, over the last 4 years it has new shocks, springs, loads of new bushes, head reconditioned, valve clearance done, cambelt and tensioner and regular services.

The car has done 175k miles but it still feels solid, I have bought a new exhaust system, new battery and some 15" BBS wheels to get it looking a little more retro.

The car has been a complete joy to own, it has been chipped so I guess around 190bhp, it is so light that the straight six 2.5 litre engine is absolutely effortless to drive, the tourque comes on strong from 1000rpm and when you get to 4500rpm the car starts to really fly, all the way to just under 7000rpm, with the most glorious exhaust note.

Better than the S4 with Miltek, better than the 335i and only second to the CSL. maybe because there is less soundproofing?? I am not sure, but it sounds great!

Getting back in a car without traction control etc. and RWD is a real learning experience too, I would say I have learnt more about handling in the last couple of months than I have in my last 16 years driving.

Taking this round the back roads is also more fun than any other car I have owned, being able to have a real hoot in it at 50 mph is great, don't get me wrong the S4 was great, but you needed to be doing 90mph, the CSL was great, but again you needed to be going pretty damned fast but this thing just seems to be so perfectly balanced, the feeling of control is just superb.

I paid less for this car than the wheels cost me on teh E91, and over the last month I have done 200 miles in the E91 and over a 1000 miles in this thing.

I am a complete E30 addict now, when I read the EVO magasine best M car feature I thought they were mad giving the 1st place spot to the E30 M3 over the CSL, but I think they may have had a valid point, as a car to go out and have a blast in they really can't be beat.

I am putting on some Brembo discs and pads this afternoon, I am going to change all the bushes next week, and then put on a Z3 steering rack (4 turns on the current one and only 2.75 turns on the Z3 rack) an M-Tec II steering wheel and a Limited Slip diff next month.

Should feel better than factory fresh and all for peanuts. A complete bargin!!

I am in love! :heart:

325-0434.jpg

325-0440.jpg

Recently lowered 40mm with Kilen springs including new 4 oem shocks and upgraded E46 rear top mounts.

The interior for 19 years old is spot on.

325-0407.jpg

325-0410.jpg

325-0411.jpg

325-0418.jpg

325-0419.jpg

325-0421.jpg

Getting back in a car without traction control etc. and RWD is a real learning experience too, I would say I have learnt more about handling in the last couple of months than I have in my last 16 years driving.

Taking this round the back roads is also more fun than any other car I have owned, being able to have a real hoot in it at 50 mph is great, don't get me wrong the S4 was great, but you needed to be doing 90mph, the CSL was great, but again you needed to be going pretty damned fast but this thing just seems to be so perfectly balanced, the feeling of control is just superb.

Precisely the reason I loved my MX-5 and am now smitten with the Elise. A great drivers car doesn't need to be doing three figure speeds to be involving +++

Omi, don't get me tempted mate, I know were there is a 328i with 80k miles on it up for sale for a silly price, it is a saloon and really tatty where it has been scraped and ever repaired, but the engine etc. is meant to be like new. :)

Peter, it was your review that made me put this up. +++

Thorburn, that is what makes this so fun, it becomes about the handling and not the speed, I'm hooked.

Fiona was laughing at me tonight, I spent the afternoon putting in a new bonnet release cable and some new brake discs and pads, came in at 9pm saying how much I love this car, she pointed out the last 5 years at £500-800 a month running things like the 535d, S4, CSL, 335i and now a car that cost me a grand has put a bigger smile on my face than any of them. :)