Extended Warranty

AndyCh

My car is an import and therefore only came with a 2 year warranty, which expired last week.

I didn't get round to extending the warranty before now, so I am looking for a quote to see if it is worth it.

Any ideas how much an additional year's warranty costs, and also the best place to go (through VW or elsewhere)?

Cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I did this in January. I got the VW extended warranty direct from VW warranty for £439.

Unlimited mileage and claims but it must be taken out while the car is still in the 2 yr manufacturers warranty period. Otherwise it classed as a car without a warranty and must have a multipoint check first. The cost will then rise to £680.

Chris.

I did this in January. I got the VW extended warranty direct from VW warranty for £439.

Unlimited mileage and claims but it must be taken out while the car is still in the 2 yr manufacturers warranty period. Otherwise it classed as a car without a warranty and must have a multipoint check first. The cost will then rise to £680.

Chris.

I assume that you didn't declare the remap? £439 sounds like alot of money for something which cannot provide complete peace of mind - I would personally be concerned that any major claim could be refused if the remap was discovered.

No, remap not declared. Why would I ? The dealer isn't going to bother investigating if its mapped or not. My experience is they just want to get the work through the workshop, be it warranty or service. Never had a problem. Do you know anyone or any instance where a warranty claim has been rejected because of a remap ?

Chris.

I did read of an example some time ago now where Skoda were allegedly looking on car forums to identify cars which owners had remapped and I believe that one individual had a warranty issue.

It's obviously unlikely that VW would find out or even want to I guess. I read somewhere that they would need to send the chip back to Germany to find out. It makes you wonder if VW would need to do this how an insurance company could possibly find out!?

With some maps it knocks the flash counter up each time its done. It also does this when the dealers do software updates. With any problem or warranty claim , dealers have to abide by "guided fault finding". VW are , for the most part, lead by the findings of their dealers ( who just want the work flowing ). Although if, when faulty parts are sent back to VW, they find that the part was not faulty or has been misused then they tend not to honour the claim and the dealer has to stump up and then charge the customer.

As for looking on forums, imagine the court case (if it went that far). Your honour, we found a few threads on internet forums. I don't think VW or any other manufacturer would base any opinion on something posted on a forum such as this. There is no guarantee that any of this is true.

Do you think that when designing the 2.0t engine VW didn't think people would try to tune it via the port ? I don't think they are so naive as to think otherwise. They probably realised how widespread this would be and how difficult it could be to identify and maybe over engineered their components to accommidate ? Partly warranty and longevity and maybe some scope for possible tuning ?

Chris.