Audio upgrade in E60 535d

Biscuits

Hi Gizze,

I have bought the following upgrades for my 07 LCI E60, Blaupunkt THA-555 pnp amp,

BMW plug and play cable with 5.5m extension,2 earthquake SWS-8 subwoofers and the L7 tweeters. I am not confident in doing the upgrade myself. By any chance can you install it for me if we can arrange a time and day. I am also willing to pay for your services.

Thank you

Sorry mate, I have had kit to go in my Merc for 14 months now and not got round to installing that yet, let alone do someone else's!

Have you spoke to a local installer.

Takes around 1 hour to fit the amp, 30 mins for tweeters and about an hour for the subs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have read this through and through again googled it and still confused. I have the basic system I bought a tha555 a little while ago and want the subs and tweeters. I was going to wire the subs up so each sub is on a separate output ie one sub has a + & - each like fig 5 page 51 of the amp instruction manual and everything else plug and play. Do I need 2ohm or 4ohm sws8 subs. Also where can I get some logic 7 tweeters from does anybody have them or have the part number. And will I get interference on fm stations with this amp. Please help

Thanks gizzie I was going to wire them direct to the sub channel like I said theres 2x + and 2x- I was going to put 1 sub in each. Where's the best place to run the wires and put the amp. Also what's the best settings for it all on the amp a picture would be best like where do you have the dials turned to.

I will try and find a diagram for cable laying, just don't cross to many big cables.

Sub wiring is perfect.

Front channels hi pass at 125hz,

rear channel hi pass at around 10khz and low passed at around 100hz

Sub channel low passed at 125hz.

Gain on the front as low as possible, so 12v or whatever the highest voltage is, same for rears.

The adjust the sub gain so you can hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gizze,

Im halfway through reading the entire thread;) Excellent job!

Im pretty sure about getting the DLS speakers and SWS woofers. I read the opinions and they do seem to be awesome. Im not sure however about the blaupunkt amp. I have used uDimension jr4300 amp (4 channel) I used in my old vw that I would like to give a second life. That would drive front speakers. On top of that I would of course need another amp to power the woofers.

You mentioned the proposed set sounds flawlessly but I wonder how much of this great sound comes from the amp. In other words, apart from 5 channels and a sweet compact size that helps fit it in, is there anything particular about that amp that other similar class amps wouldn't deliver? Thanks for help.

It is:

4x50 W / 4Ω

4x75 W / 2Ω

2x150 W / 4Ω(bridged). Worth around 200 quid new.

I did try drive the fronts and a sub in the past but it lacked power and occasionally disconnected and needed re-start. Hence my worries about lack of power.

Therefore I thought of a separate mono amp for the woofers. Then again, it only started to lack power when I upgraded my old PowerBass S-5C (5") to Focal A1 (6.5"). Before then it worked flawlessly. I dont know what class my amp is and how to check it? Thanks for the info though. I thought theres something 'special' about that blaupunkt;)

Edited by nivepl

Hi All

Great thread with some good info from people who know what they are talking about.

Have a 2008 520d with standard stereo, so no need to say what it is like!

Have ordered the 4 ohms sws8, and a tha555 as do not want to cut any wires.

Will be changing the door speakers as well.

What options have i got?

Looking at vibe lite air 210w component pro speakers 4" 10cm.

Any good?

Will be fitting the amp and subs as soon as they arrive.

Any tips on problems i may come accross?

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Found that I didn't need to modify the enclosures in the E60 to fit the SWS8s. Must be different to the E90.

There's a square ish hole left though where the old speaker cable fitted. The old speaker assembly was shaped to fill the gap. How have the rest of you plugged that to get the thing air-tight whilst also threading the new cables through?

The Focals are quite lively sounding, the Rainbows are too but not as bright.

If you want detail but smooth as well the 4" Morels are awesome. And the more you spend the better they get, but even their cheapest (still not cheap) sound amazing.

A guy on ebay sells them for a good price, he was £230 for the Morel Ovations last time I asked. Easy yo fit too as they have a clever mounting system.

They are worlds apart sound wise. the Focals have a very lively sound and can be a bit in your face, and with the Blaupunkt being a Class D amp with similar sound I think you may find it very tiring to listen to.

The Morels have a creaminess to the sound, the have loads of detail, but the never sound anything but lovely and warm, you can listen to them all day and you just want to turn it up and up.

I think this describes the difference well, when I had the Focals in my car my wife would always say "Turn it down a bit", however when I swapped to the Morels I used to play it much louder and nothing was ever said.

I personally prefer the VRS, I went with the other one without realising that the VRS speaker has more upper mid bass.

However it has a mounting depth of around 1cm more from memory, not sure what the mounting depth is on the E60? They were still only 55mm or something, so should be fine, but do check.

You want to set the tweeter to around -6db as well as the oem head unit has an EQ that pushes the 15khz range up by 7db, so this helps flatten things out a bit and gets rid of some of the sharpness.

Be careful buying Focals, get them from a proper store as there are loads of fakes on ebay.

Have found some Morel dotech 4" 2-way speakers for £229+ vat or Morel Hybrid Ovation 2 for £506 + vat.

Wil there be that much difference between the two? These are both from the UK.

Have found the Ovation 2 on E BAY for £280 from Isreal.

Also the guy you sent the link from e bay has ovations for £349 delivered.

Is there much difference between the ovation and ovation 2?

So many ways to go!!!

Edited by towan
added text