Audio upgrade in E60 535d

Biscuits

oh yeah...shows im a bmw virgin...makes the install a whole lot simpler...

removing the centre front maple wood trim still scares me though i guess there are plastic trim removal tools out there...

I think just a flat blade screwdriver with a rag round it, pop the outside end off and then pull it off working towards the middle. Removal of the trim and radio etc I know how to do - it's the door card I'm not sure about, especially as it has an airbag in it!

boy ..just visited my local dealer..they do all sound ignorant. After a bit of hassle they told me price of these tweeters are £25 each plus vat...

Also i have a scratch in my high gloss maple wood trim (long centre bit)..cost for a new one a whopping £145 plus vat!!!!

Price of this when new is only £115 for the full wood set...

Now i know why people call these dealer ships.. stealerships...

I think just a flat blade screwdriver with a rag round it, pop the outside end off and then pull it off working towards the middle. Removal of the trim and radio etc I know how to do - it's the door card I'm not sure about, especially as it has an airbag in it!

yes messing with the airbag scares me too.. safety being number one and all that....

hi gizze

will this system still sound good with the uprated subs but without the tweeters???

No, not really, the speakers in the car at the moment are mid range only, there is no top end at all. I would rather add the tweeters and 2 channel amp than add the 5 channel amp, subs and no tweeter.

The airbags are on the door, not the card.

Simply undo the screws, get a blunt knife under the door card at the bottom and pull away. Work your way round the card, then when you get so just the top of the card is connected pull up and away and it comes off.

Undo the handle wire and pop out the puddle light and undo the speaker cable.

Pop the tweeter in and do back up. Takes 12-15 minutes for both sides.

boy ..just visited my local dealer..they do all sound ignorant. After a bit of hassle they told me price of these tweeters are £25 each plus vat...

Are you sure that's for the Logic 7 tweeters? I think you'll find that's for the Hi-Fi speakers. Logic 7 ones are about £35 + VAT each.

The Logic 7 ones are called Top Hi-Fi on the BMW parts list.

Here's the part number:

Single parts f front door top-hifi syst.

I think they've quoted you for these:

Single parts f front door hifi system

Don't get the wrong ones as they're non-returnable (the Logic 7 ones have to come form Germany).

Hey..cheers mate youre right...i thought they were L7 because they had a cable...

And he was being a bit of an a*** saying "Under no circumstances are these returnable..." thats why i hesitated in buying them

Also when i asked for the part numbers he point blank refused to give me them what a total a***...

Thanks mate i was going to order the wrong ones...

Gizze for the E90etc. when you don't have the hifi set-up you don't have a space to put the tweeters or at least no where with a grill.

On mine its a solid piece of plastic that continues all up across the top of the door. If I was to do this does the replacement trim replace all of that?+++

Also i have a scratch in my high gloss maple wood trim (long centre bit)..cost for a new one a whopping £145 plus vat!!!!

Price of this when new is only £115 for the full wood set...

But that is because there will be a trim strip of some sort on the car, even if you don't take the wood option. So if the basic trim strip costs £30 and the wood one costs £145 then the additional cost to replace the basic one with a wood one is £115. So the option cost is less than the replacement cost.

There is also the fact that a replacement part needs to be transported from Munich to the dealer and (possibly) stored at the dealer until someone wants one. For a part on a new car, the transport is already paid for and there is no stock/storage overhead.

Hey..cheers mate youre right...i thought they were L7 because they had a cable...

And he was being a bit of an a*** saying "Under no circumstances are these returnable..." thats why i hesitated in buying them

Also when i asked for the part numbers he point blank refused to give me them what a total a***...

Thanks mate i was going to order the wrong ones...

No worries. Yeah, the first place I went to were pretty off about doing them. Said they couldn't be retro fitted, had different connectors blah blah... Needless to say I went elsewhere, told them the part I needed and no problem. It did confuse me that the Hi-Fi tweeter was shown with a cable and the L7 shown without. However, the L7 definitely comes with a cable and plug.

Update on my situation:

Still waiting for subs..

tweeters not yet bought though am more confident about fitting them now....

amp and cable know where just need to order..

amassing information now before i take the plunge and actually do it on my E60..time allowing..bugger working full time...

Another q gizze...

How did you fit your amp?? did it just fit behind the boot trim or did you have to create any special enclosure..?

cheers

Hi ya,

If a car has hifi upgrade (not L7 or DSP), are the subs wired seperatly? saving having to run the new sub wires?

Just thinking if getting the Hifi-DSP-Pro upgrade on a new car is worth it or not.

+++

Just re-read the thread and answered my own question..... R T F M !

Edited by Biscuits
I'm a numpty

Yeah they are, however you will have to rip that amp out completely and put in a 5 channel amp that can take a balanced hi-level input, and there are not many of them.

I would go basic and upgrade yourself or L7, trying to change the hi-fi option is a bit of a chore.

Yeah they are, however you will have to rip that amp out completely and put in a 5 channel amp that can take a balanced hi-level input, and there are not many of them.

I would go basic and upgrade yourself or L7, trying to change the hi-fi option is a bit of a chore.

I'm looking at a car with DSP-Pro, so hopefully won't need to change anything. Had my first proper listed to the DSP-Pro and it's pretty impressive even listening to Kiss FM :cool: Chrome spinners and limo tints an option on a M3 ?