Audio upgrade in E60 535d

Biscuits

I was told that getting a new Logic 7 amp for my '06 750Li would cost $1800. I would like to know if I can get an aftermarket amp and use the stock speakers. Basically, substituting aftermarket amp for the Logic 7. If this can be done, what kind of amp should it be and where do I get the signal for the subs?

thomas

Hi Thomas,

unfortunately you can't use a different amp with the L7 set up as it is an optical connection from the head unit to the amp, you can't even run new cables as the head unit does not have analogue outs when coded to a car with the L7 system.

Can you not find one from a scrap yard or used on ebay??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to this thread I've started the upgrade to my standard stereo install in my November 2005 520d.

For anyone trying to remove the door cars from this month onwards a word of caution, do not remove the trim on the door pull, there are no locating screws behind it, and you are likely to snap off the top three locating lugs from your trim!!!!

Unclip your door card by locating the door clips around the edge of the door card, Remove the cosmetic cover off the phillips head screw located on the front upper edge of the door card recess, and carefully pop off the Airbag logo cover. Underneath this a trox screw that you need to remove. After you have unclipped and removed both the posi and torx screw you can now remove the door card. Both mine felt like there were more clips securing the card in place, but it was just the tight fit of the door card along the top edge. With a little patience you will be able to get it clean off the door.

Fitting is the reverse, but I found it easier when fitting the door card along the top edge not to refit the tweeter cover. This is made if thin plastic and can be fitted once the top edge of the card is located (which is a cow to fit if you leave the tweeter cover in place).

Take it slowly and you will not have any problems.

Fitting just the tweeters alone has seen a significant improvement in the overall sound stage and puts back to the missing "top".

BTW part number for the tweeters is: 65.13.6.978.631

All the best.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Hi people

Hi people

I have an BMW 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe and i know i can upgrade the speakers under the seats to earthquake SW8's but can anyone help me with the how to upgrade the other speakers the door ones mainly and how to upgrade the amp??

Thanks

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

One question guys,

if i buy the blaupunkt tha 275 amp.... and the 2.5 m lead ... will i be able to fit it somewhere in the front? ideas?

also how will the amp get power? do i need to bring a long power wire from the battery which is in the boot?

i am looking to add the amp and L7 tweeters to my standard 6 speaker E60 system

thanks in advance

One question guys,

if i buy the blaupunkt tha 275 amp.... and the 2.5 m lead ... will i be able to fit it somewhere in the front? ideas?

also how will the amp get power? do i need to bring a long power wire from the battery which is in the boot?

i am looking to add the amp and L7 tweeters to my standard 6 speaker E60 system thanks in advance

Hi,

The 275 should fit somewhere in the front passenger compartment. The 275 can run from the power wires that are in the Blaupunkt 2.5m adaptor lead. With the larger amps it's best to run them direct from the battery in the boot, but the 275 will be fine.

There must be somewhere behind the glovebox in the 5 series it will fit.

B +++

Right, ordered the L7 tweeters (bmw take around a week) so picking them by coming friday. Cost £40 each + vat + cradit card charge = £95

Received the tha-275 amp today and the necessary plug n play cables ..... cost £190

question!!! the amp only has front channel, so will the speakers in the rear shelf go slient? (i have not installed it yet since i am waiting for the tweeters)

if anyone has this setup please do let me know

also behind the glove box, the access to insides is blocked by trim panels and i am a bit lost on the removal (another reason why i was unable to test if the rear speakers will work) ..... a guide to an audio install for the E60 would be much appreciated :):) thanks

Hi,

I have completed my first audio upgrade

tweeters and amp for fronts .... sounds sweeter :) (will upgrade to 5 channel / sws subs in the future but not now)

But i have a question,

The amp can run safely @ 2 ohms but taking into account that now 3 speakers are being run by a single channel (one side), if speakers are wired parallel, it comes to 1.3333 ohm load ...... which is not safe

can someone shed some light on this!!!

apart from this concern, everything does seem to work just fine, or maybe my calculations are wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Thomas,

unfortunately you can't use a different amp with the L7 set up as it is an optical connection from the head unit to the amp, you can't even run new cables as the head unit does not have analogue outs when coded to a car with the L7 system.

Can you not find one from a scrap yard or used on ebay??

Sorry to drag this back up for my first post.

For the basic system, does that have an analogue out somehow then ? Just wondering if it would be possible to use another amp as the Blaupunkt one.

As far as speakers go, I found this nice set, that's supposed to be a direct swap for the existing ones. Can't seem to link directly to them though :(

Basic system is just speaker level, so any amp which takes in a hi-level input will work.

Still worth getting the Plug and Play harness though.

Hi-Fi system outputs a balanced line level - but still over the regular speaker outs, you have to code the radio in a car that is coded for Hi-Fi to get it to switch.

DSP/Logic7 system outputs optically over the most bus network.

Basic system is just speaker level, so any amp which takes in a hi-level input will work.

Still worth getting the Plug and Play harness though.

Hi-Fi system outputs a balanced line level - but still over the regular speaker outs, you have to code the radio in a car that is coded for Hi-Fi to get it to switch.

DSP/Logic7 system outputs optically over the most bus network.

So for the basic system I could also work with a hi-low adapter then. There's only a midrange in the parcelshelf, no tweeter. I'm a correct in asuming that it's a full range signal sent to that midrange in the back ?

• 5 weeks later...

hi,

have read all the posts and still a few issues i dont get ...

ive got a e60 535d .. with standard stereo & prof nav..

so if i wanted to upgrade i would need...

Blaupunkt THA-555 pnp amp.

BMW plug and play cable with 5.5m extension.

DLS R4 speakers.

2 earthquake SWS-8 subwoofers

2 x org bmw top hifi (logic 7) tweeters - the grills i have fitted as standard

wiring from amp to 2 subs and to wire in the amp

1.this is the part that lost me do i need 2 x DLS R4 speakers sets?

2.whats the best wiring to use ?

3. do i have to wire the car speakers seperately or will the loom and the tha-55 handle all that ..

4. do teh tweeters have wiring pre installed in the door - ready to go ?

4. if its a 5 channel amp how do i wire in the 2 subs ?

5. i gather that all wires need to be put thru the passenger side (rhd car)

6. i hear a lot about feedback coming thru the speakers - anything to stop that ?

i suppose thats it for now...

thanks for your help in advance guys..!!

;)

You don't have to buy the DLS speakers at all, and if I were doing it again I would stick with the speaker already in the car and just add the BMW Logic7 tweeter, this comes with the bit of cable that hooks into the speaker in the car.

The plug and play harness handles everything, although..

only if you keep the existing subs, if you change the ones under the seat then you need to run new cables from the 555 amp, this would be the only rewiring you do, just amp sub out to subs, even though it is mono there are two outputs to make it easy.

I would run them down the passenger side as there is a massive 12v cable running down the drivers side.

I never had any problems with any noise, even with the head unit witched to aux and full volume.

Hi Guy

so does my car have tweeters in the front?

(Waiting on BMW to get a new sunroof in stock - they say it was broken, I say they broke it - too difficult to prove, so instead of £2k fitted it is "only" costing me £600 - bargain! cough)

Dave

Hi Guy

so does my car have tweeters in the front?

Dave

No Dave.

I would get some L7 tweeters ordered for it, makes such a difference.

You could then add the blaupunkt 275 amp for around £150, this gives 80wpc for the fronts and subs and is a really easy install.

Hi just been reading through this thread and would like to thank everyone for the valuable information contributed on this thread. I am a new owner of a 520d 11/2005. I overlooked the quality of the standard sound system also. I am also looking to carry out the upgrades mentioned in this thread. Can someone please confirm if the subs on sale on the following site are the correct ones

Earthquake SWS-8 Slim-Line Subwoofer | UK Car Audio & In-Car Entertainment Prices Smashed!

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, im a new owner of a E60 520d M-sport and the stereo is s**t, this forum has answerd all my questions.

I want to go for the audio upgrade that the first thread refers to, however!! He says its around £600, were do i get it all from?? I looked on the net and its really expensive (compared to the £600).

Please help!! Im a novice and dont want to get ripped off or buy the wrong gear.

Thanks

Richard

Prices may have gone up since I posted this, teh Euro is rather strong at the mo.

If I were doing it again I would probably consider buying the 275 amp and the L7 tweeters.

Or the tweeters, 555 amp and the sws-8 subs.

I wouldn't change the speakers.

How good does the system sound?

I took it to a local audio shop and they qouted 3k, this was foe audio stream amps, hertz speakers, an Eq, and a 10" sub, they said this would sound a 100 times better than what you guys say. (but they would say that wouldnt they)

If this sounds good then i think its the route il take......cheaper too.