1st experiance of Run-Flats

Biscuits

Hi,

Just got a 55 plate 130i MSport for the wife. Very pleased with it and last night had my first 'proper' go in it.

The dealer had replaced all four tires (good I thought) before delivering it.

WHAT A PILE OF POOP !

The ride is much harsher than my 535d (with 19's), but I kind of put that down to it being a smaller car wih firm suspension, but you really feel the bumps in the road.

In the bends and roundabouts there just isn't any good mechanical grip. they are the Goodyear Run-Flats, not sure if they are supposed to be aimed at economy or sports driving, but on a sports model I would expect some grip.

I rate them well below the ContiSC2's that I think are poor... so much so I'm tempted to change them for Goodyear Assys (now on the 535d)... but they don't do a front tire in that size yet.

Totaly no confidence with the handling and with a looming 'Ring trip, I think the 5 will currently do better in the bends !

Thoughts on the matter appreciated...

B

Hi,

Just got a 55 plate 130i MSport for the wife. Very pleased with it and last night had my first 'proper' go in it.

The dealer had replaced all four tires (good I thought) before delivering it.

WHAT A PILE OF POOP !

The ride is much harsher than my 535d (with 19's), but I kind of put that down to it being a smaller car wih firm suspension, but you really feel the bumps in the road.

In the bends and roundabouts there just isn't any good mechanical grip. they are the Goodyear Run-Flats, not sure if they are supposed to be aimed at economy or sports driving, but on a sports model I would expect some grip.

I rate them well below the ContiSC2's that I think are poor... so much so I'm tempted to change them for Goodyear Assys (now on the 535d)... but they don't do a front tire in that size yet.

Totaly no confidence with the handling and with a looming 'Ring trip, I think the 5 will currently do better in the bends !

Thoughts on the matter appreciated...

B

I had my run-flats changed on my 330d (19's) and if I'm honest, there's little difference in the harshness of the drive. The car actually handled better with the run flats - but it may be different for the 1ers.

I had my run-flats changed on my 330d (19's) and if I'm honest, there's little difference in the harshness of the drive. The car actually handled better with the run flats - but it may be different for the 1ers.

OH HELL !

Does that mean the 1er is supposed to handle like a milk float then ?

I'm going to do a swap with my car for a week, try and get to know how the car handles.... I've only done about 20 miles in it so far.... so maybe I'm being too hasty with my critisism?

Hi Biscuits (again)

Hope you're enjoying the exhaust mod!

On my 55 reg 130iM, I also had Goodyear Eagle NCT5 RFTs from new. However these soon got binned for a set of PS2s. The difference...night and day! The ride is waaaaay better (but still pogos a bit from the rear on the M/way) and the grip levels are +++

Oh, and it actually rides bumps without feeling like it's going to throw you off the road. Well worth it. Anyway, here's what I originally wrote on babybmw net when i'd replaced them:

The new tyres have certainly made the steering lighter. Also, with the lack of sidewall strengthening, initial turn in has lost is go-kart like instant response. But the feel is still very much there - just a little more discreet. Much like my old E30 325i. icon_thumbs.gif

Good news: Err....the ride!! I was skeptical, but there is a difference. And it's BIG!!!!! Reversing off of my driveway, the path drops down to the road with a very small kerbed drop (~1cm). Before you could feel the wheel drop down like a lead weight. Now it is just a mere patter. So all things so good so far.

Next step was to drive the route to work and back as I know these roads intimately. Was there a difference? Flippin' 'eck! Either they had, just prior to my driving down them, re-surfaced the road but made it look like it hadn't been re-surfaced, or bumps that used to be there are now no longer felt by the driver as the suspension is doing what it's meant too! The difference can be felt everywhere.

I could carry on with superlatives etc etc, but I will leave it with this: "I will NEVER put run-flats back on my 130iM as it now feels like a new (better riding) car

Thanks GH,

Car does 'pogo' a bit over the bumps, but I guess it's a small car, so won't ride like the 5 does.

The exhaust note is good and lookforward to "fixing" the flap tonight.

I think if the PS2's made a difference, then Goodyear Assy's would be a good choice, just wish they did the fronts... will stick with the R-F's and think about changing closer to the 'Ring trip (IF I take the 1 and not the 5)

+++

I've got Michelin PS2 Zero pressures on mine and the ride is great, maybe a little harsh at very low speed but the rest is fine. As for grip they hold brilliantly and never give me any cause for concern, its far better than the A3 sportback was by a country mile and that wasn't bad. +++

I am going to change mine to standard PS2's when they need replacing I think. :)

The 1 series is a nightmare on run flats, change them mate it is like night and day.

I nearly got rid of ours as it was so harsh, but then remembered how much I much better the 535d felt after putting proper tyres on, so swapped them over and it was fantastic.

Get them swapped, and sell the run flats, or keep them for trade in time. +++

You don't want a set of ACS Type III alloys with Bridgestones on them do you??

They are in the proper 1 series offset, genuine and mint!

attachment.php?attachmentid=32931&stc=1&d=1210275539

Is there no end to your goodie bin Gizze ???? :grin:

I really like the stock wheels, just hate the tyres.

Can't really justify forking out for tyres AND wheels....

The delight of the BMW range is that a 5 series on 19" wheels has proper tyres. That's what I have now, much safer than the 645i on 19" bouncy, scarey runflats.

Bouncy..... yeah, that's exactly how I would describe it.

Right... I'll get them replaced. Think I'll keep the runflats for a rainy trade-in day.

Hmmmm.... can you fit 19's on a 1er ?

The issue I had with my 645i was that it broke away very quickly at the back if there was any bump mid corner and it was damp. It did this a few times. Compare that with a remapped 535d on normal rubber which is amazingly predictable and has great traction. Both cars have basically the same chassis so I blame it on the rubber.

I think if the PS2's made a difference, then Goodyear Assy's would be a good choice, just wish they did the fronts...

Hi Biscuits

I forgot to mention, when I got my PS2s they did not do a 205/45 R18 (normal 130iM front size) so I stuck 225/40 R18s on all round. At the time, this was common for those switching from RFT to non-RFT. Whether Michelin, or A N Other, now do a 205/45 R18 I do not know.

Also, and a fair point that I had forgotten about, is Merlots comment about better traction. There really is a big difference in traction off the line, and you'll get much less 'flashing yellow triangle' interference when accelerating over bumps with non-RFTs.

HTH +++

Looked on eTyres and Event-Tyres and neither do a 205/45/18 in anything but a RunFlat.

So it looks like if I'm going to change it will need to be a different size.

I would imagine that if you don't get any pointers here then the 1'er forum should be able to point you in the right direction +++