[Audi A3/S3] S3 (old shape) thinking of buying

Oatz

Hi all,

I'm currently thinking of buying an S3 as I've always liked them, I need something a bit more comfortable for longer journeys etc and have heard that the MK1 is pretty much bullet proof and even rated above the Mk2 (is this true?).

So basically I'm just wondered whether someone could point me in the direction of a buyers guide of some sort / things to look out for / know problems etc?

Also, with the new VED rubbish what band will the S3 fall into in?

Many thanks in advance

For me there will only be 1 S3 and yes I am biased as i've not owned the MkII.

There are some links at the top of this forum, however they are not working at the mo due to the forum change over, but it will give you an idea of search criteria etc.

Oh and it has to be Nogaro Blue +++

I've owned both the 'new' and 'old' S3s and while the 8P S3 is most definitely a step forward in terms of performance, technology and handling my old one felt more special and made me feel special when I drove it.

It was put together better, the materials it was made from felt better in terms of the cabin and I must admit it looked sexier. The only reason I got rid of mine was because it was beginning to get old and I wanted a step-up in performance. If they still made them I'd buy one tomorrow.

For me there will only be 1 S3 and yes I am biased as i've not owned the MkII.

Ditto. I guess owning two, one after the other since 2002 speaks for itself!

I just havent yet been able to get excited about the MK II S3. if i had then i would have bought one, and made it my 3rd S3 on the trot.

I think they missed something on the Mk II. (not just the flared arches) and really think that Audi missed the ball on latching onto the almost iconic following the previous model had.

Road tax is £210 this year and £300 next year,

Either way, to have any sort of sporty car, Ive resigned myself to the fact i Will be paying £££. Sod Darling. I like my performace too much.

I have been considering a change to something V* before they are illeagal, but so far, still toying with the idea, its a hard decision to part with the S.

I've owned both a 99 and 2008 S3 . I would avoid the very early pre facelift models 99 - 00 the facelift really made a difference to the interior and the external styling differences were quite tasteful. I really enjoy my new car I find it a better place to sit inside but the older one had a much better exterior.

I sold my 99 S3 on 135k miles over 6 months ago and the new owner has replaced the clutch, some tyres and brakes but nothing serious. While I had it the worst it managed was to kill 2 engine sensors, a MAF, plus the usual servicing parts. As with a lot of well made cars if they are serviced and looked after they will go on and on.