R8 brakes

jono baker

Thought owners might be interested in a brake modification to reduce the over-servoed brakes which made heel and toeing almost impossible

I have had the car since last July and have done about 8k miles in it and the brakes were really annoying me at low speed. I first tried a harder pad - Pagid [yellow I think]. These just made them even more snatchy, and noisy.

I met one of the Audi Quattro team development drivers at the 'Ring last year who told me he had advised Audi about the brakes being over-servoed. But his advise was overruled by the 'Marketing' people.

I have since fitted the brake servo from the ceramic braked car which is less powerful than the steel version. It went straight on - about 3 hours labour, and the part was about £290 inc vat.

The result is that I now have a 'harder' pedal with more feel. I still think it is still marginally too light for road use - but it is much better than the standard set up.

Naturally Audi officially will not endorse this modification nor will dealers swap servoes, but they will supply one - and it can be fitted by any moderately competent mechanic