Lower Back Problems

Torino101

Hi Guys,

I'm a big gym fanatic and normally all my weight lifting is done under strict form from myself(have been lifting for 8 years or so).... however I have always avoided Deadlifting due to a fear of injuring my lower back.

Anyway after reading many many many weightlifting magazines extolling the virtue of deadlifts I started to include them in my routine....

Long story short I felt one of my lower right back muscles "tear" when lifting a heavy deadlift weight about 6 weeks ago.

I have done no back execises since, but still get continual back pain.... I virtually cannot bend over to tie my shoe laces due to the pain.

Is this something I should see a sports masseur about or is there something more serious I should do??

N

i also have lower back pain, went to see the PTI here as she is qualified in sports therapy, gave me a load of exercises to do --a lot better since ive been doing them

most are broadly similar to pelvic floor exercises(ask the wife/girlfriend) but basically pelvic thrusts (standing or lying down) also put a ball at the small of your back and try to roll it up and down a wall 2-3 inches just by moving your hips (a small football or volleyball size seems to work best) finally lie on your side back arched and knees bent, keep ankles together and open your knees in a scissor motion then lie on other side and repeat

do all the exrcises slowly and under control and dont overdo it--about 10 mins at a time

hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...

In my younger days (20-23) i had loads of problems with my lower back. I eventually found a Physiotherapist, who coincidentally, used to be the 1st team physio for Newcastle United in the 70's. He always said, if i ever got lower back pain - there's only 4 things that will make it better. Anti-inflammatory tablets (i e co-codomol) hot packs, muscle tensing machines and rest. The muscle tensing machine is what Jackass used on their testicles once. They are brilliant, if used properly.

Torino you need to see someone about this asap. Go to the doctor's and get a referral to a physio asap. You risk completely shagging your back if you ignore the problem. I tried allsorts after a really bad car-smash in 99 and ended up going to for Shiatsu for 6 months to fix it.

There are so many more ways to strengthen your back than deadlifts. If you've been lifting for 8 years, I'm really surprised you've taken "advice" from magazines, but hey, the damage is done now.

All I would say is that just because you're back's in pain doesn't mean you have to stop training :P