TSN News - New Scirocco Gets ready to race

News_Stig

....I've no doubt it will be a great car and will modify very well but it looks like Monsieur Renault and Madamoiselle Peugeot have been at it in the broom cupboard. It's not a good allrounder like the 5-door Golf and so its rivals are cars such as the Audi TTS and 'previously used' Porsches.

• 3 months later...

Not sure you could put the Scirocco as competition to the TTS. There is a 10k difference in buying prices and 25k does not buy you much of a recent Porsche. As far as I can see it the Scirocco will kill the sales of 3 door GTi's while the 5 door will still attract the buyer who needs a bit of practicality. Comparing a heavily modified GTI and a standard Scirocco is not really fair play either, think you would need to pull a standard GTI along side for the comparison purposes.

Not sure you could put the Scirocco as competition to the TTS. There is a 10k difference in buying prices and 25k does not buy you much of a recent Porsche. As far as I can see it the Scirocco will kill the sales of 3 door GTi's while the 5 door will still attract the buyer who needs a bit of practicality. Comparing a heavily modified GTI and a standard Scirocco is not really fair play either, think you would need to pull a standard GTI along side for the comparison purposes.

- Agreed, TTS competition too strong but not necessarily the TT imo.

- Audi's are a much more expensive badge. Previously used Porsche Boxster S?

- I don't agree at all with the Scirocco killing 3-door GTI sales but can see the theory why. Quite different internal accommodation and body styling. Choosing your car is invariably irrational (at least i hope so!).

- I was only referring to my modified GTI as a yardstick rather than a competition as to which would I buy? My GTI was standard for some time. Besides which, I have modded my GTI in order to achieve a more tactile and fun car and that's what the Scirocco needs to be too imo. VW probably think otherwise.

+++

Edited by RedRobin