QD+....A love hate thing!

steelwind101

Hey Guys,

After having that QD+ for a while im really impressed, i still cant shake all the junk off the bottom and its still almost too yummy to pass up a swig of.

Its ability to enhance what is below it is amazing! Here is CMW that was really almost past it:

Pearls unhindered in the sun:

qd1.jpg

Shady shots are reflective and deep:

qd2.jpg

But this is the second application of QD+ two weeks in a row. It seems to bead strongly but it doesnt disperse the water very well when you soak the car.

I have loved these type of spray waxes/top ups for some time and purchased Souveran spray wax before the winter. Souveran spray wax does look good but i feel it changes the looks of what it goes over too much. However QD+ is much more like a QD in that it doesnt change things so much as it just boosts them.

I have to say its either my application or a drawback of the product. First you spray it on a panel and you spread it around. At which point you can see some smearing. Flip the cloth and buff to a rich, glossy, deep finish. It seems like its just to easy to miss bits, windows seem to get little dots of product as well as the plastic surrounds.

There is residue on the plastic headlamp cover, i often walk around the car the next day and see these "smears". They wipe off easy enough but its a bit of pain.

Still recommended though!

Geoff

It really does look to add something - very visible even on the photo's. The thing I like about QD's is the ease / speed of application. On that basis I don't think this one would be for me. I always apply QD after my weekly wash of my company car as it helps keep it cleaner longer but I always seem to be on such a tight time scale!

Hey Guys,

After having that QD+ for a while im really impressed, i still cant shake all the junk off the bottom and its still almost too yummy to pass up a swig of.

Its ability to enhance what is below it is amazing! Here is CMW that was really almost past it:

Pearls unhindered in the sun:

qd1.jpg

Shady shots are reflective and deep:

qd2.jpg

But this is the second application of QD+ two weeks in a row. It seems to bead strongly but it doesnt disperse the water very well when you soak the car.

I have loved these type of spray waxes/top ups for some time and purchased Souveran spray wax before the winter. Souveran spray wax does look good but i feel it changes the looks of what it goes over too much. However QD+ is much more like a QD in that it doesnt change things so much as it just boosts them.

I have to say its either my application or a drawback of the product. First you spray it on a panel and you spread it around. At which point you can see some smearing. Flip the cloth and buff to a rich, glossy, deep finish. It seems like its just to easy to miss bits, windows seem to get little dots of product as well as the plastic surrounds.

There is residue on the plastic headlamp cover, i often walk around the car the next day and see these "smears". They wipe off easy enough but its a bit of pain.

Still recommended though!

Geoff

Is this the PB's stuff Geoff?. Looking at placing an order next with Serious Performance, they now stock FK425 !

Great review Geoff, QD+ hasn't had some of the publicity that some other QDs have had of late but it's definitely a great performer.... especially for the price tag!

Thanks Alex!

I have managed to improve the smear thing by moving the pip right clear over the one side where there are no desposits of product stuck to the bottom. Even thought i wasnt sucking up solid product before directly, im sure that could account for some that little problem. Like wise i have twisted the spray head to the finest setting, probably help keeps some of the solid bits back a bit more!

Geoff

Steelwind, compliments with the lovely shine! I'm a PB convert too, love their products!

A quick question, what do you use on your tyres? They look perfect... (Satisfied Meg's Tire Gel user myself, but always keen to learn...) ;)

TIA

Hello Sven

Thanks for the compliments! IM getting on so much better with the QD+ now i made the changes above.

Im sure that is Wolfgang Tyre dressing, it looks really nice and applies evenly, the matt look is lower then Megs endurance but it still has good deep feel to it. Like the Sonus stuff it gives the feel that it is tyre rather then something applied on top of the tyre. It wont last as long as the Megs does. I often use Sonus Tyre and Trim, not so good in trim, fantastic on tyres! Both get applied with foam apps. i go over the tyre once to ensure it has a good covering of product, then just keep going round tyre once or twice more to ensure thats its well worked in and takes off excess gloss.

Geoff

Ah, the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel? I was already interested in the brand, looks very good this. The gloss is just right. Meg's Tire Gel too, but this looks just that little bit better, judging by the photo's.

But I won't go on in your QD+ thread... (another one I still like to try - already convinced by the PB Spray & Wipe over my previous fav, the Meg's Quik Detailer).

Mind if I borrow a pic to show the effect on a Dutch Detailing forum? :)

Thanks for explaining...

• 3 weeks later...

Just used QD+ for the first time tonight...........superb !. It really does add clarity to the paintwork.

I see what Geoff means by the gunk at the bottom, all I did was try to mix it up with the end of the spray head, that seemed to dislodge most.

I applied it first then did a final buff with a concours towel..............SHINE !

Thanks for putting us guys wise on it Geoff.

I was saying to pstevo tonight how QD's really do put our cars in league of their own ! +++

Dibbs!

Glad you liked it, it seems that its a hidden gem out there with so many products on the market it will most likely be one for those in the know. It beads really well too, i was amazed at how it could add so much gloss and depth!

I have used an inch or so of product and its alot easier to get the residue from the bottom moving around....phew! Although i doubt it mattered, in my head it was annoying.

The heat has pretty much killed me looking in to new products at the moment. Ironically its storming out tonight here in London and everyone seems to have piled back in to the Detailing section!

Geoff

Agree re the storms but in a way I was glad because it put the QD+ to test, excellent beading and very little dust etc left on the car. Comparing it to Clearkote Quikshine I think the QD+ has more longevity.

I tried FK 425 the other too on my wifes new VW Tiguan and that was excellent too, good shine and depth but as always I insist on a final buff once all the waters gone.

Yet to try Serious Performance's own QD, that sitting on my shelf in the garage with the other 6 QD's.....LOL.

Nice to have a choice though.

One thing I am now starting to look for is a decent winter wax..........any help appreciated guys as always........+++

You cant be thinking of winter yet? HA!

I guess the usual suspects like Colinite, Polycharged Souveran Liquid Wax, adds a good warmth to silver. 4 Star Paint Sealant polycharged is great too, both of the products i have mentioned come "pre-polycharged" there is nothing for you add.

Zaino is in the thing on DetailingWorld having been about for ages. Its durable, strong and looks good.

Duragloss sealants are easy and dependable and cheap. Aquawax can be used as your drying QD and the results are excellent.

I often find the worst part of winter is Janurary onwards.

Geoff

I was thinking of Collinite 915 for winter. For me I believe it should offer the right blend of wet looks and durability. Fairly cheap too.

I tend to ideally give the car a proper detail mid to late October and apply just an extra coat of wax in January to keep things going until end March / early April.

Anyway, no point talking about Summer anymore - we haven't had one for two years now and in fairness there is only 4 weeks of potential 'proper' summer left this year! :punched:

Just can't seem to keep the car looking nice for more than 24 hours this year and I think durability is therefore becoming a greater consideration.

For what they're worth, I've seen a few long range winter forecasts that suggest we might be in for a shock this year!

One other route may be:

after prep:

Poorboy's Black Hole/White Diamond for cosmetics, EX-P sealant for gloss and durability, to be topped with a nice carnauba wax of choice.

Benefits are that you can choose a wax for it's appearance, the EX-P underneath will take care of long lasting protection. (And you still get the joy of topping up with your fav wax every now and then). :)