Any news on the MkVI GTI?

Muppetboy

....I've only driven a Mk5 GTI with the Quaife but I drove it back to back with a Stage3 Mk5 R32 with Haldex in Race mode on the same roads and I was mightily impressed with GTI in direct comparison.

I used to think that the Quaife was only useful for track use but now I'm convinced it will reduce those instances of extremely difficult to avoid wheelspin at road junction exits and exiting wet roundabouts, quite apart from being able to lay the power down earlier in a bend's exit. And all that happens with a standard Mk5 GTI and not remapped/modded.

But sorry, I'm going off topic and can see why VW won't bother with an ATB diff in the Mk6.

+++

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the Mk6 does go to around 240bhp and they are not doing the R32 as rumoured, does anyone think the GTI might go AWD?

The bhp gain would offset the additional 150kgs in weight.

....I think that VW will take the same attitude as its competitors and not want to increase the weight because it results in more fuel consumption.

My modded GTI rolling-road'd recently at 236 bhp with very smooth curves and I don't have difficulty getting the power down unless booting it on wet roads. Hence the Quaife diff next month.

+++

I would have thought you'd be at 250bhp, no problem. I suspect you'd get a different result on another rolling road....

....I'm sure I would but probably not so accurate. I previously got 244 bhp in December on the same Dyno-Dynamics rollers. A bunch of us (from GolfGTI.co.uk forum) are having a session on these same D-D rollers this October, specifically to compare the same cars on different rolling-roads as some of the numbers for stock Ed30's having been showing 250+ on other rolling roads rather than the official 230 bhp.

Personally I care more about the shape of the curves and the rev range of my power and torque.

+++

Robin, what sort of damage are you looking at for the Quaife? Also, what's the damage for fitting?

....Hi Mook :)

Ed at APS quoted me £705+vat for the Quaife (DSG) plus £530+vat for fitting = £1,450 incl. vat. JKM quoted me £1,428 including everything. But I'm going to VW Racing at £1,457 including everything - Their Quaife version is upgraded and specially developed only for them, plus there is an added bonus I'll report on afterwards.

I drove a friend's 290 bhp GTI prepared by VW Racing with the same Quaife, and back to back with Marcus's APS Stage3 Mk5 R32 with Haldex in Race mode - The Quaife was astonishing. I'll be writing a 'review' very soon on BIALI - bialimotorsport.com forum - Index

+++

Not with that moniker - with the G (G40 and G60) standing for G-lader +++

They've gone down the "let's confuse the sh*t out of everyone" road, by renaming the TFSI as a TSI, which the original TSI was, when it wasn't an F, because it's a TSI, but TFSI is too long, because the F in TFSI is no longer marketable and they want people to think they've done something new with the TFSI to make it a TSI which it isn't, but now it is...

Hmm, not bad. Very similar to Mk V though. Toureg back end makes it look a bit fat.

No doubt it'll be bigger, heavier and more expensive *sigh*

Its bound imo to look similar due to using the same roof pressing and glass as the mk5.

Remember Guys/girls when looking at these photos your looking at the standard golfs looks. Its like looking at a 1.6 current mk5 or a 1.9TDI current mk5.

Now, if the front end looked more like this as Snoopy's reply suggested......
icon10.gif:grin: Edited by Snoopy

From those pics it looks quite good to me.

From a design point of view, it looks like it's been based more on the MKIV rather than the MKV - squared off back lights and front bonnet grill & bumper design.

It's definitely not a revolutionary design - not a bad looker but not a 'wow' design either. Neither was the MKV though was it really?

Looks rather bland to me.

Begs the question why they bothered with such uninspiring looks.

It strikes me, the Scirocco got the looks that the Golf should have had. Hence it begs the question why bother to run both.

I can see the Scirocco running away with the sales.