Body repairs - paintwork prep

Tarmac_Terrorist

Does anyone know how body repair centres prepare damaged vehicles prior to spraying?

My dad needs a wing and bumper resprayed. The car was not long ago detailed and I'm just wondering whether they remove all waxes and polishes from the whole car (strong APC or similar) or just the effected areas?

Maybe this is a question for the bodyshop but I wondered if there is generally a standarD practice for pre painting?

Hello!

Good question. If you look at many of the "pro" lines of products like the Mirror Glaze range from Meguiars a few of the sprays are bodyshop safe. This means certain chemicals, like silicon are missing so they do not hinder work at the body shop. However, it would be nice to think this kinda practise was done everywhere, but all to often you get a car back from the repair place with a "wax n polish" which is a no no on fresh paint.

Anyway, the body shop should wash the car, and there there are number of alchol based solutions that can be applied to the car to remove old wax and road grime.

Remeber, after the car is painted you want to wait for a certain time, as suggest by the paint maker before sealing the paintwork. That should help the paintwork cure and the chemicals gas off. Pure polishes like Meguiars #7 can be used though!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. As I tend to undertake most of his paintwork care I was planning on just using QD to provide some bling until September time when I will probably SRP & EGP it before applying some sort of nuba wax coat too. Only just detailed (SRP, EGP & 2 coats of CK carnauba wax) the whole car a fortnight ago and he goes and scrapes it! I suspect the bodyshop will just strip the whole lot off the whole car in their prep process. :ffs: