New Owner- Couple of questions

Beardy

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have just bought a second hand Mk V GTi. This is the first GTi I have owned since I sold my Mk II back in 1992! Very impressed with the car so far and have a couple of questions.

The car is very well specced...I think it would have cost circa £28k new:eek: including SatNav and the Hands Free kit. The car is a 56 reg so it has the old SatNav.

My phone is a SE C902 which is quite a new phone...what are VW like at bringing out new cradles? Or does anyone else make them?

If as I suspect the answer is that they take ages I want to get a bluetooth kit for the car.

Is it possible to retrofit the VW bluetooth ? If so is it any good and what is compatability like? My last car was a BMW where there are certain phones that just dont work with the factory bluetooth.

Failing that what do people think of Parrott? Can you have it installed discretely (already have the factory hands free kit so dont want something else that "obvious")?

Lastly...have to say I am not massively impressed with the SatNav and understand there is a new SatNav? Is it any good ? Can it be retrofitted and would it solve my Bluetooth/Phone problem?

That's actually a lot more than a couple of questions...I've read a few threads on the subject but haven't been able to find the exact info I am after.

Thanks very much +++

Hi Beardy & welcome to TSN.

I'll try to help although I'm sure others will be along soon who may be able to better advise.

Phone cradles - I believe that VW have only made a few cradles for a few phones and I don't believe that there are other manufacturers who make compatible cradles.

The nav - yes there is a new model and I believe that it fits / plugs straight in to the existing sockets. It can be fitted by yourself although it does involve dismantling the centre part of the fascia. There are some guides on here somewhere which explain step by step what to do.

I don't know if the new sat nav model actually has full postcode compatability yet - there was some talk on this about 3 months ago and I think VW were about to release a software upgrade.

Alternatively, you could get an aftermarket unit which offers better nav, handsfree and better sound quality. With the right fascia plates they look very much like original equipment but perform much better....I went for the Kenwood DNX 7200 :)

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist