Autoglym Lifeshine - better than EGP?

Tarmac_Terrorist

I have some of this stuff still kicking around and it got me thinking of a few questions...

Is Lifeshine paint sealent better than Autoglym EGP

Exactly how is it different?

Does it remove the fillers if used over Autoglym SRP?

If it really is that durable then would it lock in the SRP fillers for longer?

I have used this stuff on a few cars and whilst I don't think it really adds much in the looks department I've almost been tempted to say it contains fillers itself sometimes as I've been convinced that it hides monor cobwebbing - perhaps just my imagination...:grin:

It just seems that as it's regularly available on ebay for quite small money and if it's more durable that EGP why isn't is used?

With a decent wax on top of Lifeshine, surely I would have a very durable finish with great looks?

Apologies for so many questions in 1 post!

Hi TT!

Some yrs back i worked for Toyota and we were using the Lifeshine and a few other products that were similar for testing purposes. I was told then that Lifeshine was based around EGP, they are very similar.

I always thought EGP was strange b/c it was so solventy, yet SRP left a resin finish so wasnt that going to make a mess? Either way it seems not to and i suspect that solvents flash off very quickly. I think EGP looks sweet on silver, and i put some on the Picanto a week back. First think you note as soon as you leave the foam app for a few second is how dry it gets.

I think the solvent is only a carrier, also yes i think it does hide marring too. Its weird, if you read EGP it says it contains wax. It isnt like a solvent based sealant like 1z Glanz.

Life shine seems to bead for yrs, it does of course get hit with the problem of fall out build up etc. But i can certantly say for me, its lasted longer the EGP.

With regard these super sealants, in a few yrs or less this industry will probably go on its head a bit. Optimum (a company i recommend alot have a product in testing called X) and its a like a second clearcoat. It will run about £89-£100 for 2oz's, it dedunks on conventional bonding patterns and really "mates" so to speak with the clearcoat.

Similar products are currently being test in Japan, you dont hear much about Japense car cleaning products. Well they have been working on them and often refer to them as "Glass coat" or second skins. I know one company has a variation of there sealant for about £350 its for clearcoated panels industrial uses and glass.

Anyway! I have always loved EGP and got to say, EGP topped with Nattys Original is a great look. It tones down the brightness of EGP, adds depth and creates a wet look.

With regard ebay, some of the bottles are (so i have heard) just EGP put in to the old bottles :(. I would get sealed ones if you can.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff!

EGP in my opinion does leave a better finnish than the Lifeshine sealent. However, that's the trade off between durability and looks which is often the case with these types of products.

It just seems crazy to use EGP at about £10 a bottle when sealed Lifeshine Kits are available for an extra tenner. With a decent wax on top of the cured Lifeshine, I would hope to have a durable & wet look finish.

I'm not looking / don't expect for the Lifeshine to last for years but if I clean / polish first, then apply Lifeshine perhaps can get a good 9 - 12 months out of it and just keep adding a wax based LSP periodically to add to the looks.

Hmm - Perhaps I should try this combination next time round?!

Thanks, Phil :)