ITG air filter for 135i

Si-135i

Hi,

I have found a supplier in the UK that stocks this replacement panel air filter. Has anyone tried this on a 135i and what difference did it make ?

I am planning to get the BMW performance exhaust soon and was hoping both mods together would show a mild improvement over standard being that the engine should "breathe" a little better.

Si

just got some info back form ITG I thiought I would share with you, seems fair and honest enough to me :

Time to dispel a few myths about after aftermarket and OEM airlifters'.

Paper filters actually almost flow as much air as ours and competitors filters (within a small percentage) when they are brand spanking new and unused.

The big difference is seen after a few thousand miles worth of dirt build up. Paper filters and cotton gauze filters only use the surface of the filter to trap dirt, hence why they are pleated to increase surface area.

This means that as soon as dirt starts to collect on the filter it will start losing airflow.

Foam filters use the depth of the filter to hold dirt and work more like a labyrinth progressively trapping the dirt as the air passes through the filter, this results in the filter being able to run for a lot longer without losing airflow - typically five times longer (we have test results taken at MIRA which can confirm this). This means that although you may not get an increase in power as such, you will keep the performance you have for a lot longer.

Being perfectly honest with you, no aftermarket filter will ever match a paper filter in terms of filtration levels.

Paper filters can remove particles down to 3 microns, our filters will work down to 5-6 microns with cotton gauze filters working down to around 10-12 microns. The worst kind of filter to use are the stainless steel mesh filters which will allow particles of up to 80-90 microns to pass through.

Generally speaking damage will begin to occur when particles of 8-10 microns and above are allowed through.

Haha.

I would go with a K&N filter, they are out or about to come out now, then go for a more free flowing exhaust, you should find the turbos spool up a lot quicker. Should make it feel more like a NA car. +++

Cotton doesn't filter as well as Tri-Foam and cloggs faster, that was why I went for ITG, Also less likely to draw as much oils onto the MAF. I will be going for the BMW Performance Exhaust too next month (I hope) so all going well I hope to see a slight improvement.