Rogue tyre pressure sensor?

Beserker30

The other night while approaching a roundabout (at just under 30mph with no visible debris in the road) I acquired a particularly nasty puncture in the centre of the tread on my nearside rear tyre. It's a 3inch long gash and there's something rolling around in there. I'm off to the dealer to get it checked out today, just wondering if there was a possibility of the pressure sensor coming adrift and causing the puncture?

no!

funny as it may seem, on our cars the pressure sensor doesn't actually monitor the tyre pressure. instead it relies on the ABS sensors to detect a change in the tyre rolling circumference.

with a puncture or slow leak the circumference decreases relative to the other tyres and you get a warning in your dash.

Welcome to TSN! :)

As Petsy says...

It's essential to make sure that these low profile tyres are up to pressure. My father in Law bent the inside of an allow wheel on his previous car (Fiat Coupe Turbo) and was not aware of hitting a pot hole or any object. However, I know he only very occasionally checks his tyre presures. Could the tyre have been a littleunder pressure and you caught a sharpish pot hole which developed into a gash. Just a thought..

It's very hard to tell if these low profice tyres are down on pressure.

Ta very much!+++

Since it uses the ABS there's little point me taking it to the dealership, just for an astronomical tyre quote. I'll replace the tyre today and let you know what was floating about in there. I checked the tyre pressures that morning as I was taking the car to be dyno'd. I seriously hope I haven't bent the rim, BBS's might have to come a bit sooner!

Ta very much!+++

Since it uses the ABS there's little point me taking it to the dealership, just for an astronomical tyre quote. I'll replace the tyre today and let you know what was floating about in there. I checked the tyre pressures that morning as I was taking the car to be dyno'd. I seriously hope I haven't bent the rim, BBS's might have to come a bit sooner!

Sounds like the excuse you've been waiting for to get some BBS's! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the tyre off, fortunately there was no damage to the wheel so unfortunately I'll be keeping the Pescaras on for the time being! The mystery object turned out to be the metal backing plate from a brake pad. It was mostly black so I'm not really surprised I didn't see it at night. I am a bit annoyed with VW for selling me a new car with tyres that have been superceded; everywhere had Conti Sport Contact 3's but not the SC2's that I was running. I suppose it's only a minor but I had to wait a little while to get the tyre ordered in. Anyway thanks for the heads up about the ABS sensor and the warm welcome. Now where do I go to stick some piccies up of my car and the dyno graph?:grin: