Machine Polishers

richey33

Hello All,

I look after my car, and my good lady's car with z***l products, but would like to take it a stage further.

What machine polisher would you recommend ?? I know of the Porter Cable, any others to look out for ??

And, what products to use with it ??

Richey

Hello!

The porter cable is a bit old hat now TBH. Meguiars have got a UK ready polisher which has more power, less shakes (can you believe?) and plugs straight in to a UK plug socket.

Elite Car Care should like you the right products.

Products you will want to use come in a bundle in the above link and should give pretty good results. Lots of people on here recently bought them alas i dont think many have got around to polishing yet :(.

With regard other machines: I have and had used for many yrs the Cyclo which is a twin head polisher, fixed speed, 2x4" pads. Its costs £230 but now you get DA's (dual actions for saftey) with Uk plugs for £150 i wouldent bother buying it.

You can also get a rotary polisher. This has a fixed action and requires a certain amount of skill to be used safely. Unlike the Meguiars or the Cyclo or the Porter Cable where getting good results requires some skill, no damaging the car is alot easier, i would say 99% fool proof!

The rotary provides quicker results on seriously messed up paintwork. However, once you have corrected your car im sure the polisher is likely only going to be used to reduce wash induced marring once or twice year with a light polish and maybe the application of some glazes, LSP's etc in between.

Geoff

Richey, Super Resin wont really do much to correct any swirls though it will fill a bit more by machine polisher. My advice would be to get some dedicated machine polishes such as the Menzerna ones or the Meguiars one 80 and 83 for example.

These will remove the swirls, you can then apply your Zymol directly on to the polished paintwork or apply some HD cleanse first if you want.

Geoff

Richey, Super Resin wont really do much to correct any swirls though it will fill a bit more by machine polisher. My advice would be to get some dedicated machine polishes such as the Menzerna ones or the Meguiars one 80 and 83 for example.

These will remove the swirls, you can then apply your Zymol directly on to the polished paintwork or apply some HD cleanse first if you want.

Geoff

Agree with this, although the SRP may be a good one just to get use to the machine.

Regarding HD Cleanse I also agree it is a bit disappointing for the price - you could try Dodo Lime Prime as IMHO this is a better product and easy to work with +++

With regard other machines: I have and had used for many yrs the Cyclo which is a twin head polisher, fixed speed, 2x4" pads. Its costs £230 but now you get DA's (dual actions for saftey) with Uk plugs for £150 i wouldent bother buying it.

Geoff

Or you could try and get hold of a Biltema for less than £50. Exactly the same as the cyclo but with variable speed. I had one for yonks now and it certainly cuts the mustard. The only problem is getting hold of one, only sold in scandanavian countires, although there was some one selling them on fleebay a while back for about £100 including P+P.

• 2 weeks later...
Or you could try and get hold of a Biltema for less than £50. Exactly the same as the cyclo but with variable speed. I had one for yonks now and it certainly cuts the mustard. The only problem is getting hold of one, only sold in scandanavian countires, although there was some one selling them on fleebay a while back for about £100 including P+P.

Something like this one?

attachment.php?attachmentid=33832&stc=1&d=1220109262

Current exchange rate makes that unit about £30 or so.

post-5289-137914420223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rustynuts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My friend used a Silverline Rotary the other day on his 'P' reg MG and it didnt do a bad job to honest. For £35 not too bad a deal.

Personally I'd rather go down the route of the Megs as my paintwork does not really need the power of a rotary.

One thing I did notice was the amount fling from the machine all over the car !!!. Is he using it incorrectly ?

One thing I did notice was the amount fling from the machine all over the car !!!. Is he using it incorrectly ?

I have not used this machine but i suspect that he had over loaded the pad with too much polish or applied to much polish the outside of the pad.

Its best to avoid cheap pads where possible, they often loose there polishing abilities and tend to just push the product around the paintwork rather then break it down.

I'd suspect either Sonus or Megs pads are good. Others will be along shortly to futher advise.+++

Hello!

Megs pad work out great on the rotatry and i see alot of people using the Sonus ones too. It depends on what polish you have, Megs ones (80 and 83, although there are some great new ones out now!) are both oily and i have issues with them on thiner pads the Meguiars branded ones.

3M who bought Meguiars recently have some excellent pads that are "variable contact" also known as VC they tend to cut heavier and quicker. I recently used some concaved shaped one from another company and they were very effective!

Geoff