Ipod - on MFD

Ken1

Folks, I installed the ipod shelf in the armrest a while back , I'm not too impressed with it as apart from making playlists it is too cumbersome to find artists etc . I saw a vid on youtube of a Golf that had the artists etc appearing on the MFD which would give you the option of scrolling with the MFSW. Does anyone know if this is an extra bit of kit required to allow the ipod info display on the MFD? All I have at the moment is basic CD 1-6 ext appearing on the MFD.

Any info appreciated.

The MDI interface comes in a housing that would replace the iPod connector in the arm rest. You'd need to run a (supplied) wiring harness to the back of the head unit.

Because I didn't have an iPod connector in the arm rest in my .:R my arm rest doesn't have the right internals to take the housing so I took the interface out of the housing and mounted it behind the instrument cluster leaving the iPod cable in the cubby hole underneath the headlight switch.

You'll have to change it. The MDI kit from Kufatech consists of the MDI interface in a plastic housing, a wiring loom and a USB and iPod cable.

What you'd need to do is remove the iPod connector from the arm rest, remove the cable that goes to the radio and then run the wiring loom to the back of the radio. Then put the MDI interface plus housing into the space left by removing the current iPod connector.

thanks Burble got you , going off the topic a bit i see on that link that there are some bluetooth kits available do you know anything about them , there seems to be a big price variation on them , just wondering what is the best way to upgrade my phone prep to get the numbers on the mfa , i mean i have the microphone and aerial already in .

I've got the OEM VW bluetooth in my .:R32 and it works very nicely. I have my full phonebook available either by the Sat Nav or MFD. There is also voice dialling (which is a bitch to setup but works fine once you have done it).

The microphone is installed into the interior light cluster and the module itself lives underneath the drivers seat.

There's more information about the OEM bluetooth module here.

just wondering and always looking for the easy way out ! I notice that there is a bluetooth interface fitted under the drivers seat , it is covered with a black rubbery cover , I wonder could this be easily replaced with a premium version of the interface only or would all the cables be different? I haven't seen any write ups from anyone who has upgraded the factory phone prep to the oem bluetooth , thought someone may have done it given that some of the kit is already in the car such as the aerial and mic etc ....

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if I got the cable in the link attached and ran it from the headunit to the existing ipod dock in the arm rest would it then display the tracks on the MFD? I.E. all I would be doing is changing the cable , it would seem a cheap solution at 49 EURO rather tahn buying the whole MDI unit.

KUFATEC GmbH - Kabelsatz VW Multimediabuchse MEDIA - IN MDI Golf 5 V 36418

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Burble, I have a new RNS 510 not installed as yet and I have ordered the media in adaptor for the armrest . I notice on the spec of the media in adaptor it states it is compatible with the RNS 510 for devices with index A or higher . Just wondering do you know anything about this or did you check this out before you bought your system , or how would i know by looking at the RNS 510 unit , would there be a code or something ?

Hope I have the right RNS 510 !!!!

Cheers any help appreciated.

Ken

There are 2 versions of the 510 - A & B. From what I remember the differences are very minor - male navigation voice (female on version A) and a clock on the display.

Mine is a version A and the MDI interface works perfectly. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the B version either.