Replacing high brake light

9iron

THe brake light in the boot spoiler is not working and caused the epc light to come on.

Dealer tells me that it is an led light and they cannot find any retaining screws. In order to replace it they would have to cut out the original and replace it, meaning they would have to fill and paint the spoiler.

Has anyone come across a simpler solution to this problem??

The mounting screws are at the back, so you need to take the spoiler off with a cheese wire to get at them (really good design). Then you need a new spoiler which needs painted as well.

Mine has been misted up since I bought the car and I have noticed a lot of other MKVs with the same problem, the dealer is aware of it and has agreed to replace it if the light fails..

Hiya

Had my third brake light done last month under warranty. Dealer in the East Midlands (Newbolds) did the work and a very good job.

The light needed replacement after just 7 months of ownership from new (57). Visited the dealer in Reading last weekend and walked around the second hand GTI's all of them had the same problem.

My point is what confidence do we have that this problem will re occur when the car is out of warranty?

Mine also contains condensation - worse in the winter. It sometimes falls down about half a cm at the right hand side.

I don't trust any VW dealers in the Reading Basingstoke or Newbury area to 'carefully' remove my spoiler with a cheesewire. I'm concerned about if they damage the paint under the spoiler and they decide just to bond a new spoiler on top to cover.

Maybe i've been unlucky but with previous cars, i've always been hugely dissatisfied with the bodyshops i've used.

I had a spoiler bonded back on to a previous Peugeot I owned. 8 miles from the dealers and it fell off and got runover by a van following behind me. The glue had apparently failed to bond properly.

When my car was new, one of the headlamp washer covers was loose so the dealer ordered a new one and got it painted, the colour wasn't close so I managed to fix the old one and put it back on.

That's why I haven't bothered about the spoiler.

My wife had to get the spoiler repainted on her Lupo, two years later it has started bubbling, that was after sending it back as the first time they treid to paint it the finish was rubbish. I haven't had much luck with body shops either TT..

Had mine replaced under warrenty, due to condesation in the high level brake light. They cut off the rear spolier, fixed the light back in place and bonded the spoiler back on. No painting required what so ever. They did a great job, and I am fussy.

^ May i ask did they let you stand and watch them do it?

No I didn't watch them. But I did ask them for the full details of what was required to be done. I am fussy when it comes to work on my car.I did ask them does it need painting. The answer was it might. Mine didn't need painting.